• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Unity Big Decision Time - Time for a graphics engine?

This topic is 2770 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi,

I've been doing alot of thinking. Having seen just how bad it is to work with mesh files I'm beginning to wonder if I might just be better off going with a graphics engine instead of rendering my own stuff.

Everything was fine up until I hit normal averaging. Now I see just how unpleasant it really is to get stuff from prototype to working order when working with very raw data. All this DirectX stuff is great and all, but I'd like to make a game before I hit 80 ideally and I'm only 31 now.

So what I must ask is, would I be better off with something like Unity? Or will I just hit very similar very big problems further down the line again. I felt at one time like programming was going to be the answer to something. Now it just feels like an awful bind to be frank and I'm sick of bashing hell out of code to get nowhere.

So what do you think? I'm not interested at all in free engines I want something with professional standard wallop behind it so I can just get on with what I want to get on with - making a game. Is unity fast enough for a multiplayer game? Are there any other engines out there which are just as good but maybe cheaper? A pro license for Unity is £600+ yikes!! Also I'm not sure what types of mesh it supports. The last thing I want is to buy an engine only to find I'm still stuck with this horrid dilemma of getting mesh files to run reliably.

If it gets that bad I'll just go back to my maths studies and leave this stuff well alone. It's not bringing me much joy at present and I'd like some input from folks who know their stuff about decision making concerning games.

Thanks ;o)

Advertisement
Quote:
So what I must ask is, would I be better off with something like Unity? Or will I just hit very similar very big problems further down the line again.
There will be challenges no matter what tools you use. Also, people tend to run into mesh-related problems having to do with importing and so on even with Unity and similar engines.

Even then though, your productivity will likely be increased greatly (by orders of magnitude, even) by using an engine such as Unity.
Quote:
Is unity fast enough for a multiplayer game?
I don't really know much about Unity's multiplayer and networking capabilities, so I can't really comment on that.
Quote:
Are there any other engines out there which are just as good but maybe cheaper?
I'm not sure of the prices involved, but you could look at engines like Shiva and Torque (although people around here don't seem to think very highly of the latter).
Quote:
Also I'm not sure what types of mesh it supports. The last thing I want is to buy an engine only to find I'm still stuck with this horrid dilemma of getting mesh files to run reliably.
You can try the free version first to make sure that the engine meets your needs and does what you need it to do.

Hello :)

I guess the answer is as simple as: Try to figure out what you really want to do.

If you want to program an engine, do that.
If you want to make a game, then find a different means to do so.

As far as engines and similar things go, try some of them out, see what seems to work OK considering what you want to do and go with it.
There's a lot of parameters to weigh into the result that's for sure. So try to find something that does what you want, or close enough.

Still, the best thing to do is to research like crazy before making any choice. Go with your gut, sort of. Look through a ton of things, think it over and make an educated guess.

I'd guess. I hope this helps a little. ;)

Quote:
Original post by adder_noir
A pro license for Unity is £600+ yikes!!

Compared to a professional license for Unreal which can run around $200,000+ I'd say that's pretty cheap [smile]

But that said you should *definitely* go for an engine and not roll your own if you're not interested in the learning experience of making an engine. "Make games, not engines" is a common mantra around here.

Other things to look at: Torque, UDK (the free unreal item), Ogre.

Unity is a dope package and well worth the "small" price. It runs on a ton of platforms. You should be able to find out all the different model types it supports on their product pages somewhere.

-me

If you're looking for options, don't forget Leadwerks.

On the free side (which doesn't necessarily mean "bad" or that will prevent you from doing professional-grade work with it), you could try Horde 3D.

[Edited by - Kryzon on July 23, 2010 10:29:08 AM]

Well that's some great information alright. Thanks a lot. It's quite hard when I hit a brick wall, I do have quite a serious mental health problem and it can be very hard to stop myself getting caught up in things that are over my head and even harder to avoid persecution complexes when stuff goes wrong.

I'm going to have to learn to handle my own mind better if I want to do this sort of thing. Otherwise I'll end up doing nothing. Up to now I've been making the noob mistkae of calling functions that are too big and too hard to read. I think I need smaller and more frequent function calls.

I also got so involved in DX I didn't even realise I was writing my own engine essentially if you know what I mean. Thanks for the tips ;o)

That leadwerks looks amazing. Only thing that worries me is the price. How much do they charge for a pro license? It sounds so cheap it's unreal (no pun intended).

That'd suit me fine. God it even comes with it's own modelling tool for environments.

Quick question. IF I wanted to could I also do a small amount of talking to direct X through a graphics engine? I've got an idea for AI detection using a line detection system which would need to have access to a camera from an AI's perspective. I'd probably need access to DirectX to get the pixels I'd need.

That's about it though. Sounds very good indeed!

Hey there,

last time I checked Leadwerks had no Pro Version. It's just the one there is and you just pay once and be able to produce as much products as you want. I bought the engine because of its visual quality which is quite good. The tools are also quite usefull. The thing is, the development seems to head the Unity / Scripting (lua) way and thereby the API fell quite short on development.

I used it for quite some time and tried to develop a game with C# and it's API and it was no fun what so ever. There are lots of hidden bugs within the API. I repored alot of them. If the developer answered at all, it wasn't satisfying at all. So in the the end, I stopped frustrated using the engine altogether. It's being a couple month tho, maybe it has changed since then. Be warned tho, don't let the beautiful render images fool you.

Righ after that I had to look for another engine, and this time I really found something you can call an "engine" because it's just that. It's called Esenthel and it has all you need. And the best of it is the developer. Hes so fast in answering your questions that you wonder if hes linked or something with his forum ;). If you write a question, you're granted to get an answere not like as it was with Leadwerks, not at all.

Granted as I first saw the API I was all "wtf?!" because of his coding style. But you will get used to it. Sure there also bugs but if you report them, they will be fixed and most of them within days. All in all quite a good engine and it has also some really nice visuals.

Good luck.

Imp

That's where you see the need for advertisement. I had no idea that Esenthel engine existed, and it looks 'very' well polished. Definitely worth a look.

Hi, as it happens I'm actually getting on ok now with my own engine. Got past all the hurdles I faced before. Seems I'm just learning the importance of proper code and understanding what it's like to build large entities that need to be writen reliably as you go so you do'nt have to come back later and re-interpret everything.

Proper small functions and frequent function calls and good sensible seperation into header files seems to be working well. Got A LOT to learn I have ;o)

I make non-profit games. I make my own engines for games. Although, I do use OpenGL and IrrKlang for graphics and sound.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Advertisement
  • Popular Now

• Similar Content

• By Manuel Berger
      Hello fellow devs!
      Once again I started working on an 2D adventure game and right now I'm doing the character-movement/animation. I'm not a big math guy and I was happy about my solution, but soon I realized that it's flawed.
      My player has 5 walking-animations, mirrored for the left side: up, upright, right, downright, down. With the atan2 function I get the angle between player and destination. To get an index from 0 to 4, I divide PI by 5 and see how many times it goes into the player-destination angle.

In Pseudo-Code:
      angle = atan2(destination.x - player.x, destination.y - player.y) //swapped y and x to get mirrored angle around the y axis
      index = (int) (angle / (PI / 5));
      PlayAnimation(index); //0 = up, 1 = up_right, 2 = right, 3 = down_right, 4 = down

Besides the fact that when angle is equal to PI it produces an index of 5, this works like a charm. Or at least I thought so at first. When I tested it, I realized that the up and down animation is playing more often than the others, which is pretty logical, since they have double the angle.

What I'm trying to achieve is something like this, but with equal angles, so that up and down has the same range as all other directions.

I can't get my head around it. Any suggestions? Is the whole approach doomed?

Thank you in advance for any input!

• By devbyskc
      Hi Everyone,
      Like most here, I'm a newbie but have been dabbling with game development for a few years. I am currently working full-time overseas and learning the craft in my spare time. It's been a long but highly rewarding adventure. Much of my time has been spent working through tutorials. In all of them, as well as my own attempts at development, I used the audio files supplied by the tutorial author, or obtained from one of the numerous sites online. I am working solo, and will be for a while, so I don't want to get too wrapped up with any one skill set. Regarding audio, the files I've found and used are good for what I was doing at the time. However I would now like to try my hand at customizing the audio more. My game engine of choice is Unity and it has an audio mixer built in that I have experimented with following their tutorials. I have obtained a great book called Game Audio Development with Unity 5.x that I am working through. Half way through the book it introduces using FMOD to supplement the Unity Audio Mixer. Later in the book, the author introduces Reaper (a very popular DAW) as an external program to compose and mix music to be integrated with Unity. I did some research on DAWs and quickly became overwhelmed. Much of what I found was geared toward professional sound engineers and sound designers. I am in no way trying or even thinking about getting to that level. All I want to be able to do is take a music file, and tweak it some to get the sound I want for my game. I've played with Audacity as well, but it didn't seem to fit the bill. So that is why I am looking at a better quality DAW. Since being solo, I am also under a budget contraint. So of all the DAW software out there, I am considering Reaper or Presonus Studio One due to their pricing. My question is, is investing the time to learn about using a DAW to tweak a sound file worth it? Are there any solo developers currently using a DAW as part of their overall workflow? If so, which one? I've also come across Fabric which is a Unity plug-in that enhances the built-in audio mixer. Would that be a better alternative?
      I know this is long, and maybe I haven't communicated well in trying to be brief. But any advice from the gurus/vets would be greatly appreciated. I've leaned so much and had a lot of fun in the process. BTW, I am also a senior citizen (I cut my programming teeth back using punch cards and Structured Basic when it first came out). If anyone needs more clarification of what I am trying to accomplish please let me know.  Thanks in advance for any assistance/advice.
    • By Yosef BenSadon
      Hi , I was considering this start up http://adshir.com/, for investment and i would like a little bit of feedback on what the developers community think about the technology.
      So far what they have is a demo that runs in real time on a Tablet at over 60FPS, it runs locally on the  integrated GPU of the i7 . They have a 20 000 triangles  dinosaur that looks impressive,  better than anything i saw on a mobile device, with reflections and shadows looking very close to what they would look in the real world. They achieved this thanks to a  new algorithm of a rendering technique called Path tracing/Ray tracing, that  is very demanding and so far it is done mostly for static images.
      From what i checked around there is no real option for real time ray tracing (60 FPS on consumer devices). There was imagination technologies that were supposed to release a chip that supports real time ray tracing, but i did not found they had a product in the market or even if the technology is finished as their last demo  i found was with a PC.  The other one is OTOY with their brigade engine that is still not released and if i understand well is more a cloud solution than in hardware solution .
      Would there  be a sizable  interest in the developers community in having such a product as a plug-in for existing game engines?  How important  is Ray tracing to the  future of high end real time graphics?
    • By bryandalo
      Good day,

I just wanted to share our casual game that is available for android.

Description: Fight your way from the ravenous plant monster for survival through flips. The rules are simple, drag and release your phone screen. Improve your skills and show it to your friends with the games quirky ranks. Select an array of characters using the orb you acquire throughout the game.

Download: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.HellmodeGames.FlipEscape&hl=en

Trailer: 

• By khawk
      Watch the latest from Unity.

• Advertisement