Where to Start Building Portfolio - Comp Science at Penn State

Started by
2 comments, last by programmermattc 13 years, 8 months ago
Hey all, first I just want to thank everyone who replies in advance.

I am going to be a sophomore at Penn State University Park, majoring in computer science. I've emailed my adviser and looked, and it appears there really are basically no courses that are even close to resembling something having to do with gaming. There are no animation courses, and no 3D modeling courses.

I've been reading these forums and site over the past few days and it has come to my attention that the most important thing for me right now is to get a portfolio of some games together to show off to employers, but I have no experience ever designing anything to that aspect.

So far, I have basic knowledge in C++, but I am confused where to go from here. Should I read some books on C++ for game design, or what? I really want to get some demo work to show off, but I obviously won't get this from my education at PSU. What should I do to get some work made?

Thanks!!
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Jpac
Hey all, first I just want to thank everyone who replies in advance.

I am going to be a sophomore at Penn State University Park, majoring in computer science. I've emailed my adviser and looked, and it appears there really are basically no courses that are even close to resembling something having to do with gaming. There are no animation courses, and no 3D modeling courses.

I've been reading these forums and site over the past few days and it has come to my attention that the most important thing for me right now is to get a portfolio of some games together to show off to employers, but I have no experience ever designing anything to that aspect.

So far, I have basic knowledge in C++, but I am confused where to go from here. Should I read some books on C++ for game design, or what? I really want to get some demo work to show off, but I obviously won't get this from my education at PSU. What should I do to get some work made?

Thanks!!

I'd recommend using C# and XNA, but if you want to use C++ check out SFML, and get a book like Beginning C++ Game Programming.

Your assumptions are pretty right, though, you should be teaching yourself, as I will tell you that it's impossible to find courses that 'teach you everything' so to speak. You will learn important concepts about programming at PSU though that will translate into game programming if you consider them.

Jpac,
Your post is very confusing as to what you want to study. You mention programming AND design AND art. Surely you don't think you have to be a Renaissance man? Take whatever classes you can and that you want to and that you think will be helpful. Don't bother trying to get classes that satisfy somebody else's expectations.
As for your portfolio, you're a good 2 or 3 years away from having to worry about it. Class projects are not portfolio fodder -- usually, you're just learning how to do the thing you're trying to show off, and that's not the best way to make a good impression. Learn first, shock the world with your awesomeness later. If you haven't yet read the FAQs, click "View Forum FAQ," above.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Just because a course isn't called 'Game Design 101' or 'Animation 102', doesn't mean it's not going to apply to gaming.

I'm a major proponent of applying gaming to your studies by twisting assignments from classes to be about gaming. For example, many speech classes have assignments where the student needs to pick a topic and give a 3 minute speech, definitely a time you can pick a topic related to gaming (or better, game development).

Plus, nothing prevents you from working on projects in your spare time to build up your portfolio. Some of the best knowledge I've got related to gaming I learned by making demo after demo.

=============================RhinoXNA - Easily start building 2D games in XNA!Projects

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement