OpenGL drivers appear to do nothing...

Started by
34 comments, last by Kylotan 22 years, 7 months ago
Ok, so after doing all these little tweaks and stuff, my 3dfx card now does not work at all. Not even for Direct3D. It just acquires the video signal, but obviously there''s an error because the screen just goes blue and I can''t see the program. I uninstalled GLSetup drivers, and that didn''t help. I reinstalled DirectX 7, and that didn''t help. I removed the card and let Windows reinstall it, and that didn''t help. Any ideas on what file(s) I need to delete or something to force a clean reinstall of all this? Because it all worked fine before, with the default Win98SE install + DirectX 7.
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Kylotan
Ok, so after doing all these little tweaks and stuff, my 3dfx card now does not work at all. Not even for Direct3D. It just acquires the video signal, but obviously there''s an error because the screen just goes blue and I can''t see the program. I uninstalled GLSetup drivers, and that didn''t help. I reinstalled DirectX 7, and that didn''t help. I removed the card and let Windows reinstall it, and that didn''t help. Any ideas on what file(s) I need to delete or something to force a clean reinstall of all this? Because it all worked fine before, with the default Win98SE install + DirectX 7.

Did a cd come with the card/computer? Because if it did, those are probably the drivers to install.
Nah, the card is very old and the stuff on the CD has long been superceded. I just want the default Win98SE drivers back.
Try this:

Go to c:\windows\inf and delete Drvdata.bin and Drvidx.bin, they''re 341KB and 1.12MB. These files are the ''database'' Windows builds/adds to every time it detects new hardware.

Go to c:\windows\inf\other and delete the inf(s) that belong to your 3DFX card, some might be hidden so enable viewing of all files first, then get rid of the files with the 3DFX prefix (they should have a prefix, if they don''t try an intelligent guess).

You might also want to hunt through the registry for entries regarding your card and search for files with a 3DFX prefix.

Hope that helps.

------------
- outRider -
i don''t know about uninstalling the drivers, but here''s how to get OpenGL to work on a voodoo2(voodoo1 should work)

here you go

summary:

either load the dll dynamically or copy the correct 3dfx dll in your executables directory and rename it to OpenGL32.dll, so you don''t affect the orginal dll and other programs, windows searches the current directory first

for voodoo2 : 3dfx32v2.dll
and voodoo1: 3dfxvgl.dll(i think)

of course it''s a hassle to do this for every small program, but i know of no other option, just use it until you''ve got your hands on another card

fullscreen and the 16bit colormode (not only in your programs but also the windows desktop) are other things to keep in mind too
Well, I had renamed the dll in the windows/system directory on other advice, and it appears that was a Bad Move. I followed the info outRider gave for uninstalling the drivers but it didn''t really work: Windows just prompted me for the location of all the files that GLSetup had installed, when I don''t want those any more. Now, nothing works at all... no OpenGL, no D3D.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement