If I were to program games without XNA, what would I need?

Started by
8 comments, last by programmermattc 13 years, 8 months ago
Since I'm new to programming, I have basically no idea what certain terms are, etc.

I know XNA includes DirectX, and some other things.
If I were to stop using XNA (which I will once i've used it, since I don't want to program games soley for the 360). What are the programs I would need?
Advertisement
That depends on the kinds of games you want to make. You'll need something to present graphics, for example (OpenTk for GL or SlimDX for D3D, probably, unless you want to use GDI/System.Drawing). Probably something for sound, maybe physics, et cetera.
Quote:Original post by GraySnakeGenocide
(which I will once i've used it, since I don't want to program games soley for the 360).

You know XNA can target Windows as well as Windows Phone 7 too, yea?
xna works on PC just fine (actually, it works much better on the PC)

Stefano Casillo
TWITTER: [twitter]KunosStefano[/twitter]
AssettoCorsa - netKar PRO - Kunos Simulazioni

Right now i'm using the 3DBizz XNA/C# tutorials, how am I supposed to remember every single thing these tutorials are teaching me? They have like, hour long videos pertaining to certain code, etc.

I'm in the planning stages of a 3D platformer, so I have to learn Blender 3D as well as Python I believe, so I'm trying to make my life easier, but learning and remembering everything seems like it may be a pain.
Well, I'll echo others in this thread who said that XNA can be used to target more than just the 360.

That being said, if you don't wnat to use XNA you'll need to find other ways of drawing to the screen and playing sounds and music and whatnot. jpetrie gave some suggestions, and I'll add that SDL and SFML also have .NET implementations.
I just have a hard time remembering all the code/how they work together, and lately it seems like I'm going nowhere.
Quote:Original post by joshuanrobinson2002
Well, I'll echo others in this thread who said that XNA can be used to target more than just the 360.

I'll append the mandatory link as well:
http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page

C# and XNA is really easy and kind to use for client applications (I've never tried C# for server side apps).

Quote:Original post by GraySnakeGenocide
Right now i'm using the 3DBizz XNA/C# tutorials, how am I supposed to remember every single thing these tutorials are teaching me? They have like, hour long videos pertaining to certain code, etc.

Don't memorise, utilise. Many programmers have shelves of programming books next to their desk for a reason, you can't expect yourself to be able to memorise every little detail.

Besides, it's amazing what sticks in your head so long as you use it often enough ^^ Legends tell of programmers back when 3D graphics were first made reality who could write the code for a teapot solely from memory ;D

Well aside from XNA for C# you have DirectX, System.Drawing, OpenGL, Irrlicht, SDL, they all have either at the very least wrappers for them =P And all of them require at least as much to remember as XNA.

Also, new to programming? May I suggest ditching graphics altogether, just doing some console window learning and work your way up from there? Graphics introduces whole layers of complexity on top of what you're already having to learn -.-
First off, XNA is what Microsoft is (unsuccessfully) trying to coin as their entire graphics programming libraries (DirectX, XNA Game Studio). XNA Game Studio (XNA GS for short) is the library you're talking about using only for 360 which actually is a wrapper for DirectX.

That said, from my point of view you won't find much more that will be as robust, easy to learn, and still have a focus on programming than XNA GS.

Plus, you may not want to target the Xbox 360, but as a beginner programmer that's the closest you'll have to a full-featured library that still allows you to sell your game (if not the only IDE that supports publishing without a legitamite publisher).

I've been using XNA for around 3 years and still consider myself a beginner with it. I've been programming for 7-8 years and at work feel like I'm still a beginner. Programming isn't something you learn overnight, it's pretty much a skill set you slowly develop over a career and never stop learning from. Just keep at it, try not to get discouraged.

As a beginner I wouldn't focus on programs, I would focus more on how you're going to learn programming. Purchase:

- Book on Object Oriented programming
- Beginning programming with a certain language (preferably something like C# but could include something like Java or C++)

Make sure to check out all different sources of tutorials too, don't just stick to one like 3DBuzz. They are great for their video tutorials but maybe you should pop over to Ziggyware.com or XNADevelopment.com and see if switching your knowledge source helps you understand more.

Heck, if you use some kind of messaging program and need some help or don't know what a term means, feel free to message me and I'll try to help ya out.

=============================RhinoXNA - Easily start building 2D games in XNA!Projects

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement