Question about tile games

Started by
7 comments, last by dantheman1337 13 years, 8 months ago
Hi fellow developers. I am still in my beginning stages but there's a question or two that I am really curious about. Think about the games such as Zelda (the older ones, such as Links Awakening, oracle of seasons / ages) and also the pokemon games. These look like they are built by using tiles. Now my main question is, is it possible for one person to completely build a game by oneself, maybe one other person? Such as the games named above..

I understand games take time to get a good final product. I just don't understand where the majority of the time is being spent on when all you have to do is create different maps by using simple numbers to specify what tile is grass or water or a house etc.. Once you create maps, its just putting the story and code together to interact with everything. It seems to me that tile games should take the least amount of time to finish.

Would it really take a lot of people to produce a pokemon type tile game?

Thanks.

Mark
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by marky03
Hi fellow developers. I am still in my beginning stages but there's a question or two that I am really curious about. Think about the games such as Zelda (the older ones, such as Links Awakening, oracle of seasons / ages) and also the pokemon games. These look like they are built by using tiles. Now my main question is, is it possible for one person to completely build a game by oneself, maybe one other person? Such as the games named above..

I understand games take time to get a good final product. I just don't understand where the majority of the time is being spent on when all you have to do is create different maps by using simple numbers to specify what tile is grass or water or a house etc.. Once you create maps, its just putting the story and code together to interact with everything. It seems to me that tile games should take the least amount of time to finish.

Yes, I'd say that a game of this sort can be made by one or two people (assuming I have the right idea about what sort of game you're referring to). How long it takes will depend on a variety of factors, including developer experience, tools used, target platforms, etc. I would think it could take anywhere from a few months to a few years, depending on the circumstances.

The best way to find out where the time goes when making a game is probably just to start making one.

Again though, it depends. If you write it 'from scratch', a lot of time will be spent writing, testing, and debugging code. (Your comment about 'just putting the story and code together' indicates that you may not have much programming experience; saying that programming a game from scratch is 'just putting code together' is kind of like saying that building an airplane is 'just putting some parts together'.)

If however you use a game engine or authoring tool such as Game Maker, Unity, Shiva, etc., you'll most likely spend less time coding and more time working on the game content itself.
Quote:Original post by jyk
The best way to find out where the time goes when making a game is probably just to start making one.

Quoted for truth. A lot of your time will go into all the places you didn't expect, no matter what you've planned for. The worst part is putting the final polish on. Even with a fully functional, playable game, adding polish can take months.
The answer is "Yes".

http://playdeez.com/slhamquest.php

Not quite up to the level of a zelda or pokemon game, since the animations in the characters aren't there, but this is the work of a single person(me).

How long has it taken to get into the state it is currently in? I've been working on it for about two years. I have a job, and I sometimes go months between working on it.

Of course, I have some factors in my favor: I used randomly generated levels, I grabbed art from http://molotov.nu/, and I have been writing code for 24 years.

For a pokemon type game, your main bottlenecks are generating media assets. Art, world building, level testing.

Another big factor will be game balance. In a pokemon type game, the various critters have different attacks and whatnot. If you make one critter too powerful, then it is out of balance, and if you make one critter too weak, nobody will want it.

Get off my lawn!

Once you create maps, its just putting the story and code together to interact with everything.

You realise that "putting the story and code together to interact with everything" takes about 10x longer and is 100x more complicated than creating a tile map, right?

The first Zelda has approximately 1000 rooms (I am pulling this number out of my ass but it sounds about right). Get a decent tile editor and make 10 rooms and tell me how long it takes. Then add in object and enemy placements for each of those rooms. Then add in character scripts, plots, dialogue, etc. for a small portion of a story. Now multiply that by a 100 to see how long it will take to make a game of that scope.

Content creation is the longest part of game development. It's why the ratio of artists to programmers on a game project is high.

Thanks.

Mark

A lot of the harder work (tile drawing algorithms, world building tools, even "stock" tile graphics for testing) is already done for you, so putting together a workable demo (sans storyline) is very doable by a well-organized dedicated programmer. The harder parts in this case are sourcing graphics (creating yourself or hiring/teaming with a 2nd party) and building the story around your game world.
All of you have gave me some great information towards me questions. You all have pointed out several key factors for me to realize. Thank you everyone :)

Marky
Actually, graphics are quite simple. Use Creative Commons or some other source of free art, use a paint program, or some oher means, then save it as a bmp, then use BmpToRaw to convert to RAW files. Make a texture loader which is approximately 10-20 lines of code, sometimes less, sometimes more. Then find a good sound library and either find a source of free sounds, or create your own. For other graphics such as sprite, you could also use paint, or you caould make your own graphics app. That's what I've done. Raw data is a quite simple format. So if you want to make your own art app, then I'll just say that raw data uses this format:

Each value is defined by an ascci value. From 0 or NULL to 255. The amount of characters for rgb is 3*l*w.

You could also make your own format. I made a format called dan, which is a list of vertexes and colors that's been encrypted, and other stuff.

Basically time is based on quality, and what you want.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement