2D OpenGL Books?????

Started by
5 comments, last by kaiel090x 22 years, 8 months ago
There are hundreds of Direct X books and tutorials on making 2D but what about OpenGL?!?!?!?!???? Direct X sucks!!!!! I just want to know if anyone knows of any book son making 2D games with C++ and OpenGL. "He who fights monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster... when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you."~Friedrich Nietzsche
"He who fights monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster... when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you."~Friedrich Nietzsche
Advertisement
I have some tutorials about making a 2D game in OpenGL coming up, though its not full 2D, as it uses a lot of 3D models, in game. NeHe has a couple of pure 2D tutorials though, check them out.

------------------------------
Trent (ShiningKnight)
E-mail me
Shining Darkness- A division of Chromesphere Studios
I just want to make a 2d world, with 2d charecters, and 2d collision detection. How much different is it than making 3d, besides rendering. I would think, logically, I would load the bitmap, and treat is as an object I can set x and y position of, and check if its in collision with another. In direct x its LoadBitmap()
So what about OpenGL? Please, notify me, or make a posting or something when your 2d tutorials come out. By then I will know how to make 3d games decently well, lol.You would think, since 2d would be easier tha 3d, that there would be more tutorials, or more books. It truly makes no sense.

quote:Original post by ShiningKnight
I have some tutorials about making a 2D game in OpenGL coming up, though its not full 2D, as it uses a lot of 3D models, in game. NeHe has a couple of pure 2D tutorials though, check them out.

Trent (ShiningKnight)
E-mail me

"He who fights monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster... when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you."~Friedrich Nietzsche
I think it''s because OpenGL is not traditionally meant for 2D rendering. What you could do is texture some quads as tiles and treat that as 2D tiles. It would be faster on hardware than using the straight bitmap type functions.

Kevin

Admin for GameDev.net.

No offense KHawk, but that''s a pretty lame reason. Dx8 IMHO isn''t "meant" for 2d games, but handles just as fine as OpenGL does...it''s all in the matrices..

VB isn''t "meant" for serious code either but somehow it always ends up in our network as production material..

funny how that happens..

Erik

Learn about game programming!Games Programming in C++: Start to Finish
No, KHawk is right, OpenGL is not MADE for 2D graphics, it is MADE however for 3D graphics, and making a ''2D'' game out of a 3D graphics API is far from hard. All you do is load a bitmap, texture map it to a quad, and you''re set. Thats, basically, all there is to it.

Trent (ShiningKnight)
E-mail me
If you want a basic example of it check out the little demo I put together on my site which shows how it''s done.

How many Microsoft employees does it take to screw in a light bulb?
None, they just declare drakness as a new standard.
My HomepageSome shoot to kill, others shoot to mame. I say clear the chamber and let the lord decide. - Reno 911

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement