2d game engine

Started by
1 comment, last by alexcg 13 years, 8 months ago
Well, how would i create a game engine from scratch. I was planning on making a naruto singleplayer game alot like Maple Story but singleplayer. What programs would I have to use. I am a begginer at python and c++. I thought i would take on a small project.
Advertisement
I'm also pretty new to this , but i can give you some general guidelines , what i needed so far.

1)you dont need any programs for that

2)go read something about win32 api (you will need that for what you want to do)

3) go simple for the first one

(I 'par example' made a wannabe game , the player can move an ellipse on the screen)

4)get some sprites from the net and yet go simple

(try making something not that complex as an rpg , never played naruto but im pretty sure Maple Story is a MMO rpg)
My next project will be a Capitan Commando (arcade beat em up game)replica for pc

5) When you done that you can program almost any 2d game . il tell you if thats true or not when i'm done with my point 4

Hope that helped
#include <iostream>#include <string>int main(){ std::cout<<"I will kill your stack"; return main();}
Actually, you don't need to create a game engine from scratch. Just pick up a game library for your language of choice and start making simple games.

Some suggestions of 2d game libraries that are relatively easy to use:
SDL, SFML, Allegro, HGE - if your language of choice is C++
PyGame - if your language of choice is Python

Recommended readings:
Starting out on Game Programming
How do I make games? A Path to Game Development

Hope this helps.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement