Games as artistic statements instead of entertainment?

Started by
28 comments, last by SuperVGA 13 years, 8 months ago
One interpretation of games as art, could potentially be a very short game. I notice a lot of people make jpeg art, I'm thinking of the cracked.com photoshop contests but there is a lot of single-image art online. How about a first-person shooter mod that contains a single 3D map, and that one 3D map/model is the art piece that replaces the single jpeg? The creation time wouldn't necessarily be that much more than creating a single jpeg, which is often given away free in exchange for advertising dollars, creating a new brand of artist; something in-between a hardcore pro game maker and a jpeg-website maker. This could also be done via a very short single player gaming experience, or for something more novel a very short multiplayer game. One thing I think would be a neat artsy thing to do that could be given away for advertising dollars or funded in other cheap ways due to ultralow production costs would be to make an MMO using a package like RealmCraft, to make a fun MMO that is "standard" like world of warcraft very quickly, but make it so pvp is open and you start over when you die, dropping any unbroken equipment. In a sense you can create a quick mod of a game in a similar timeframe to making any other piece of static art, and create something new and different in that way, possibly via incorporating heavier and more realistic, but unpopular, features? Also would include things like a deceptive game, where it says the game is one thing but something else happens in the game, making it almost like a short joke or short story in video-game interactive storytelling format, albeit with a shorter length, lower production values, and a lower cost-of-entry and possibly system requirements as well, maybe even the ability to run said game in a browser in a flash environment, maybe via some sort of 3D in-browser program maker. I heard microsoft silverlight was good for that with its visual studio integration (free with visual web developer express, also free), and that could be a good place to make artsy game-shorts that may or may not contain standard or alternative interactivity, also a good place to try out new styles of games or new twists on old styles, especially if source or toolkits/modkits are available. I should note modding a game and making a game have a ton of overlapping skills, including programming, modeling, design, storytelling, etc.
*-----------------------sig------------Visit my web site (Free source code and games!) @ http://SpaceRacer2025.blogspot.com--------------------------------------*
Advertisement
To go a little off topic... I'd rather see myself as a craftsman than an artist. That way I don't have to worry that people 'get' my message. I only have to build what I want to my own standards which may or may not serve some higher purpose.
Since everybody is the same, if you can in fact build a game that you honestly enjoy playing, then others should enjoy it as well. I should also note it is very easy to make a game download / info web site, I personally have been using google blogger to make the web site and then mediafire for the free .zip file hosting. Note that most of the other people on the internet are about as good at interneting as you are.
*-----------------------sig------------Visit my web site (Free source code and games!) @ http://SpaceRacer2025.blogspot.com--------------------------------------*
Before I reply with this let me state that I ripped the definitions for the word art straight from the internets, behold my formidable skill in copy and paste.

art 1
n.
1. Human effort to imitate, supplement, alter, or counteract the work of nature.
a. The conscious production or arrangement of sounds, colors, forms, movements or other elements in a manner that affects the sense of beauty, specifically the production of the beautiful in a graphic or plastic medium.
b. The study of these activities.
c. The product of these activities; human works of beauty considered as a group.
3. High quality of conception or execution, as found in works of beauty; aesthetic value.
4. A field or category of art, such as music, ballet, or literature.
5. A nonscientific branch of learning; one of the liberal arts.
a. A system of principles and methods employed in the performance of a set of activities: the art of building.
b. A trade or craft that applies such a system of principles and methods: the art of the lexicographer.
a. Skill that is attained by study, practice, or observation: the art of the baker; the blacksmith's art.
b. Skill arising from the exercise of intuitive faculties: "Self-criticism is an art not many are qualified to practice" (Joyce Carol Oates).
a. arts Artful devices, stratagems, and tricks.
b. Artful contrivance; cunning.
9. Printing Illustrative material.

Are games art? There are a few definitions in there that I would say succinctly describe many games to me (including Tetris; in it's simplicity it is art). But to be honest I don't care about "high brow" "low brow" arguments; I enjoy playing games, I enjoy making games and I appreciate the value of such things that are composed often of concepts plucked from the deepest recesses of the human psyche; the ability to make a world or devise such concepts is what to me makes games so interesting and admirable. Even those that are considered to be lacklustre whether it be due to poor gameplay/plot/aesthetics.

It still took a varying degree of time and human intelligence to create which is what at a base level I consider all forms of "art" to be; A celebration of "human" intelligence; that thing that seperates us from all other animals on the planet. So in conclusion; yes I do believe games are art; not just particular games but every game ever conceptualised/constructed (yes...even Cheetahmen II) furthermore not only are games as a collective whole an art form but they are further composed of many other forms of art; the visual, audio, literary and mechanical (Cheetahmen II was pretty bad but from what I remember it had a pretty amazing piece of music for a level theme) there are far better looking games around now but people still talk about Ocarina of Time for its mechanical execution, deep plot and amazing soundtrack.
I wonder if it would be art if you simply created a really beautiful level with some modest interactivity? Say, for instance, that you have a gorgeous skybox and give players the ability to paint clouds with particles. Would that be art? And if there were victory conditions and rules for drawing the clouds, but the result was typically very aesthetically pleasing, would it still qualify as a game?
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
I think making only a beautiful level might not be very popular...although I suppose the beauty matters? At the risk of censored, I did just think of a 3D adult scene that could be flown around with the camera - basically a still adult image except in 3D with user controls for viewing, and that ironically even grants it automatic 3D glasses support on certain computers making the beautiful level basically just a 3D painting / sculpture. I should note that not all paintings and sculptures are equally awesome; for every picasso, there's 500m kindergarten drawing assignments that are probably objectively not very high quality art. Then every once in a while someone makes some art that for one reason or another conveys an emotion, sentiment, statement, memory, or some other artistic, communicative, emotional, or human idea from the artist to the viewer. In this way a painting is like a newspaper, except while a newspaper communicates ideas via written text, a painting conveys an idea, memory, scene, etc. via brushstrokes, whereas computer gametool art would convey the art/info in the form of either a game or game portion, even one piece of a game such as a model, or even a soundtrack, although unless the music is generated dynamically by code it's sort of a more traditional format. ;p That being said, "game art" could potentially be music that is generated by code either with or without user input, for example it could non-randomly select a variety of short vocal records, and mix in other distorted or not recordings and instrument recordings and synthesis, all programatically and according to "rythmic" mathematical functions and user input, possibly with a game wrapped around it or not, or even as an API other games could use and/or with its own interface. Also I think if picasso were alive today, he could make a very nice 3D model art/sculpture that would probably be very mind-bending like his paintings were, although I think that perhaps a picasso like person might instead make a trippy game with the game tools, or even a more abstract game, like instead of having a main game loop that repeats with a bunch of varied resources, picasso might have a few main game resources that repeat with a ton of different code loops in odd or interesting dynamic sequences. So in some ways making anything is art, and making things with game sdks and game making tools doesn't have to necessarily be making games, or even regular fun games, maybe making regular games (possibly starting from kits or open source) but with some wild, wacky, experimental, or personal twist might make for a fun game, and if you personally objectively rate the quality of the game to be low perhaps make it shorter, or even if you put less effort/time into it expect the same from the user, so aim for fast installs and low play time to explore all the resources, maybe with a looping/level up/acheivement option for any who want extended play. Mixing game kits and game tools might make an artsy effect, as would attempting to convey information or ideas in a totally different format. For example, instead of watching a video and reading books to learn how to do a job, one could play a game-like simulation of a job or variety of jobs in an online multiplayer environment, and potentially earn online acheivements that are socially accepted one day as solid credentials, along with networking with other people who are either training for or practicing an already obtained career building path.
During the last year or so, every time I was involved in a debate on this topic (or a closely related one) somewhere, this little thing was my main argument that games can indeed have immense artistic beauty and overall value.

http://armorgames.com/play/4850/small-worlds

Somebody actually posted that link on this very forum, on some unrelated topic. I can't count the number of times I've played through it since, despite the game being quite short and linear.

Generally, the easier solo game development becomes, the more enthusiasts and hobbyists will use games to express themselves, rather than impress an audience. Once people become aware of how accessible game development has become (and it will only get more accessible in time), more of them will take it up as a hobby.

Programming, the traditional insurmountable hurdle to everybody's "making my own game" fantasy is really not so difficult to overcome nowadays with things like Python around. People no longer need to learn as much about hardware, memory management, advanced programming concepts, data structures and above all, the horrid C syntax. The internet is full of comprehensive learning resources.
Quote:Original post by aersixb9
I should note that not all paintings and sculptures are equally awesome; for every picasso, there's 500m kindergarten drawing assignments that are probably objectively not very high quality art. Then every once in a while someone makes some art that for one reason or another conveys an emotion, sentiment, statement, memory, or some other artistic, communicative, emotional, or human idea from the artist to the viewer.

WARNING SPOILERS IN THIS REPLY!

Its the word in bold that is probably the simplest answer to this threads question. "Objectivity". That which something conveys is completely up to whoever is viewing it; what conveys something to you might not convey anything to me; as people we have led such very different lives and thus what affects you might not necessarily affect me.

For example I would hold the Kindergarten drawings as very precious things because to me they are a symbol of innocence and purity; I would not hold them in any less regard simply because they are the works of comparitively anonymous Children and not some well known artist's work hanging in Le Louvre; The fact is If I took that 500m Kindergarten drawing and hung it in Tate Modern or something similar it would then by that standard/convention become "high-brow".

I think in my personal taste and opinion; Games/works that try too hard to be artistic and abstract quite often fail in being so. Take the linked example (small-worlds) I actually found that incredibly tedious, boring and it didn't invoke the slightest emotion. I can't connect with a red vertical line, just putting some pretentious quotes wont do it for me. Same thing with Braid; yes it looked nice, yes the music was nice but again; it didn't really invoke emotions it just felt like an inferior Mario clone with a bit of Prince of Persia thrown in for good measure. I accepted it at face value, I enjoyed playing it but I wouldn't play it again to re-experience emotions, Braid tried too hard to be artsy and in doing so I feel it failed to connect to players emotions.

Resident Evil once upon a time made people feel genuinely anxious; Silent Hill invoked feelings of horror; Many of the Final Fantasies invoked feelings of injustice and disdain for the villains; that's what made it so satisfying to finally kick Kefka/Sephiroth/Sin's Ass; When you saw what Ganon did to Hyrule in OOT there was nothing more you wanted to do then stab the fat pig in the face; damn that final blow felt so gooood! When certain people died in Cave Story I genuinely felt hatrid and when I got to Gary Oak in Pokemon Blue it was all I wanted to do to boot him out one more time, who DIDN'T want to destroy Giygas in Earthbound, And how many people wanted to bring Damon Gant/Von Karma/ Dahlia/Kristoph Gavin to Justice?. None of these games tried that hard to be abstract or strange or artistic but the emotions they invoked in conjunction with memorable characters/music/visuals/mehcanics and literature turned what could have been regular, casual games into cult classics.

I think the problem people have nowadays is that they think because something is mainstream or 'popular' that it ceases to be artistic; Well I'm sorry but try saying that to the Millions of people who adore "masters" such as Picasso, Rembrandt, Da Vinci.

Quote:Original post by Wavinator
I wonder if it would be art if you simply created a really beautiful level with some modest interactivity?
In my mind, most of Kylotan's examples fit into this category, as more generally do many "unchallenging" point-and-click, movement-only, or interactive fiction games: Today I Die, flOw and Cloud, Little Wheel, Coma, Dreamside Maroon... Not all of them are beautifully detailed; flOw, for example, is very minimalist, but still in my opinion aesthetically pleasing in a manner that you wouldn't ascribe to - say - the average first-person shooter. And in all cases, there is little interactivity in the sense of physical or mental "challenge", or impact of player decisions on the game outcome; all of the above creations reminded me more of interactive works of art than "games" in the traditional sense.

"Art" vs "Work of Art"

Quote:aersixb9:
I should note that not all paintings and sculptures are equally awesome; for every picasso, there's 500m kindergarten drawing assignments that are probably objectively not very high quality art. Then every once in a while someone makes some art that for one reason or another conveys an emotion, sentiment, statement, memory, or some other artistic, communicative, emotional, or human idea from the artist to the viewer. In this way a painting is like a newspaper, except while a newspaper communicates ideas via written text, a painting conveys an idea, memory, scene, etc.

Art is the set of knowledge used for representation and the set of skills used to do so. A work of art is the object (physical or digital) created doing art. So a painting or a game could be a work of art, but not art; because it is an object, not the knowledge itself. To create art is to create a new way to represent something.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement