2D game engine SIMILAR to flash?

Started by
13 comments, last by bequick 13 years, 8 months ago
Hi everyone. I'm just wondering: is there a free software that can import vector art, is scriptable, and has game capabilities? Basically, anything remotely similar to flash is okay. Thank you! (ask me if you need more details of what I'm looking for(and I can live with bitmap only, but vector is preferable)(doesn't need to have actionscript)).

[Edited by - mrguyman on August 6, 2010 9:30:10 PM]
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by mrguyman
Hi everyone. I'm just wondering: is there a free software that can import vertex art, is scriptable, and has game capabilities? Basically, anything remotely similar to flash is okay. Thank you! (ask me if you need more details of what I'm looking for(and I can live with bitmap only, but vertex is preferable)(doesn't need to have actionscript)).

mind if I ask why not flash?
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that. It's because I don't have the money to buy a 700$ piece of software :P

EDIT: I found a flash engine that works with flash develop or flex sdk, which are free, and I'm wondering if it's any good :S It's called pushbutton engine, at pushbuttonengine.com
This (LOVE 2D) seems to be exactly what you are looking for. A scriptable (Lua), 2D, vector rendering engine with physics and things already implemented! It's free as well, so I would say give it a try. They definitely have some nice demos and even a released game under their belt.
Denzel Morris (@drdizzy) :: Software Engineer :: SkyTech Enterprises, Inc.
"When men are most sure and arrogant they are commonly most mistaken, giving views to passion without that proper deliberation which alone can secure them from the grossest absurdities." - David Hume
If you want to learn flash I recommend FlashDevelop. It's a free IDE that's actually better for developers than Flash. Follow the instructions in the download.

There are a few engines and libraries. Flixel comes to mind.
I heard of Love2D. It supports vector format :O I'm gonna have to look into that! Also, I already know some lua so that will make it easier :)

EDIT: I looked into it, and it DOESN'T support vector format. (By the way, I'm talking about SVG images) Thanks for the suggestion though!

[Edited by - mrguyman on August 7, 2010 8:05:16 AM]
I mainly use flashdevelop to create little demo-like experiments. You may also want to checkout wonderfl.com for examples.
The downside of using flash is of course the lack of proper hardware acceleration (for things like shaders and so on). The upside is that you can publish to browsers.
[ my blog ]
So, it's possible to create full flash games without purchasing Flash, and just using flashdevelop?
Check out Processing. It rocks.
Yeah, it does seem pretty sweet :) I think I'll try it sometime soon.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement