• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
PeterWelzien

Problems when casting 'this' to 'shared_ptr'

This topic is 2957 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi. I've got a function which takes a shared_ptr as an argument. I want to use 'this' when calling it from a constructor. Like this:

typedef std::shared_ptr<EventListener> EventListenerPtr;

BounceComponent::BounceComponent(ActorId actorId, App* app, MovementComponentPtr movementPtr) : Component(actorId, app), movementPtr(movementPtr)
{
app->getEventManager()->addListener((EventListenerPtr) this, typeid(CollisionEvent).hash_code());
}

BounceComponent inherits from EventListener.

When closing the application I get an error message saying:
Unhandled exception at 0x00f3362c in wPong.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0xfeeefeee.

Probably due to freeing already freed memory.

If I remove the call to addListener() from the constructor and place it in my init() function, right after creating the BounceComponent like this:

typedef std::shared_ptr<BounceComponent> BounceComponentPtr;

BounceComponentPtr bounce3(new BounceComponent(3, this, movement3));
getEventManager()->addListener(static_cast<EventListenerPtr> (bounce3), typeid(CollisionEvent).hash_code());

everything works.

I guess it's the cast of 'this' to a shared_ptr that's causing the problem. How can I solve this? I'd really like for the object to add it self to the event listener when created.

Advertisement
If I use enable_shared_from_this() the program crashes with error message: bad_weak_ptr.

Could it be that I try to add it to the EventListener during BouceComponent's constructor and the BounceComponent object isn't completly constructed yet?

edit:
I've tried moving
app->getEventManager()->addListener(this->shared_from_this(), typeid(CollisionEvent).hash_code());

To a separate function and call it directly after creating the BounceComponent object. This works.

Firstly, this should be a chance for you to learn that you must be extremely careful when you try to cast pointers. It is very easy to make a mistake that will go unnoticed but cause memory corruption in some unrelated part of the code.

Never cast pointers unless you know why you are doing it. Always use the C++ cast operators so the compiler will try to warn you if it cannot support the type of cast you logically want.

Quote:

If I use enable_shared_from_this() the program crashes with error message: bad_weak_ptr.

Could it be that I try to add it to the EventListener during BouceComponent's constructor and the BounceComponent object isn't completly constructed yet?

Yes. This is covered by the enable_shared_from_this documentation (emphasis mine):
Quote:

Requires: enable_shared_from_this<T> must be an accessible base class of T. *this must be a subobject of an instance t of type T . There must exist at least one shared_ptr instance p that owns t.

Until the constructor completes, no shared_ptr<> could be owning the object.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!