• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
DracoLacertae

current fastest interpreter?

This topic is 2864 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I hope this question isn't rendered useless by all the factors that effect it (like what you're doing in a language, what kind of system its running on, etc), but in general, of the interpreted languages / virtual machines out where, which one is the fastest, when running under a pure interpreter?

What do I mean by pure? Well, how about some simple rules:

-No JIT recompiling: thats just cheating! (its awesome and fast, but not allowed for this 'contest')

-Bytecode/virtual machines are OK. Just don't define your bytecode to be the same as x86, and then just JMP to it! :)

For now, I want to throw these languages out there: Java, javascript, Lua, Forth, Parrot VM (perl6), perl5, Lisp/scheme

I think of those, Parrot and Forth are the fastest, and Java or javascript the slowest.

(JIT-Java is super fast, but I've seen interpreted Java runs at a snails pace. Granted, that was a few years ago, but its hard to imagine the actual interpreter getting faster.)

Advertisement
When I was looking into LuaJIT a little while ago I found these two links comparing it against other languages. Most of the popular interpreted languages are in the two lists as well as which compiler/interpreter was used.

It's by no means a comprehensive list, but it's a fairly helpful. Or at least it was to me, but then I was perfectly happy with finding out the speed of JIT compiled implementations as well. =P

LuaJit has a custom interpreter which i think runs 2x faster than the native one, but even then it's usually considered the fastest native interpreter, you can check out the language shootout page.

http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/

It doesn't have Parrot or Forth on there so I don't know how they stack up and the Lips/Scheme benchmarks are for the compiled versions.

-ddn

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!