• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Sappharos

Artistic Rendering

This topic is 2957 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've been wondering how possible it is to render a 3D scene artistically - that is, not with 'painterly' effects such as brush strokes, but with soft edges to shapes. I'm looking for a similar style to this link (not my image). Is it possible for a 3D scene to look anything like that, or am I barking?

I've considered cel-shading, but I don't like its cartoony effect (it was however excellently done in Prince of Persia).

Advertisement
It's not so far fetched I think. It will probably take some pretty advanced shader magic to make it happen though. Google artistic rendering and take a look at the first two papers that come up, Kolliopoulos et al. 2006 and Kaplan et al. 2000. Both look similar to what you are after, especially the Kolliopoulos one. More generally this area is known as non-photorealistic rendering.

Quote:
Original post by lightbringer

Brilliant, thanks for the response. I had previously done a Google search and made the mistake of assuming that 'painterly' meant brush-strokes after a few quick glances at the results. However, this is what I've been looking for, so thanks, I'll look into these articles. :)

While there is usually no source code versions of them, the demo scene calls this "procedural graphics", and list them under their own competition category. Some of these might at least give you an impression of what can be done. Though, few have real time potential.
This one is quite a stunner for example.

Note that almost all of these executables register as some virus by heuristics, which is because of the way these are done. (Often in 4k file size, which requires some hacks that register as false positive, or exe-packers, which also almost always register.) I've downloaded and executed a LOT from there, and never caught anything. Pouet is quite reliable in that regard, so don't freak out if your AV goes crazy on these files :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!