• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
CelticSir

Visual Studio only?

This topic is 3040 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

To learn and practice C++ is virtual studio the only application to learn with or is there any free programs that do the same job as i cannot afford VS 2010 ...

Hope you can help.

Advertisement
Hello,

There are others as well.

Code::Blocks: http://www.codeblocks.org/
Eclipse: http://www.eclipse.org/

Those are 2 that I have used, although my main IDE in Windows is Visual Studio. When I use linux I stock with Code::blocks

For windows I would highly recommend the Express version of Visual Studio as Yann L suggested

Hope this helps

Michael

There are purists who claim when learning you shouldn't use an IDE, you should just use command line & a text editor. I'd say the opposite.
Just to reiterate what others have said, having used all 3 of the above, if you're on Windows I genuinely don't believe there is a better IDE than Visual Studio, the Express editions are a thing of genius! If you're on Linux I'd suggest Codeblocks or Eclipse but I believe you could also investigate KDevelop (I'm not a linux user so correct me if I'm wrong). If you're a Mac user you could use the two either (Eclipse or Codeblocks) or I think you can use XCode, however I've only used XCode for Objective-C/IPhone dev.

Hope that helps, there are loads of free IDE's but I'd say they are the most user friendly.

If you're on Linux, don't forget Netbeans. It's vastly superior to CodeBlocks, KDevelop and similar. It also works on OSX, although some may prefer the more native XCode here.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!