• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
tomva

Win32 builds from linux codebase?

This topic is 3038 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello all-

I've got a set of libraries I'd like to release on multiple platforms. I've built all of these in linux, and now I need to get a win32 build working.

I have a high-level set of perl scripts that drive the build. I need the actual C++ compiler that I can then invoke to build and link.

My requirements:
- Must be free, and no license restrictions
- Should be very easy to set up the build environment.
- Plays well with other open-source tools.
- Ideally, people with Visual Studio should be able to get an integrated build experience without too much trouble.

What do people recommend? Here is what I've tried:

1. MinGW. I thought this was the standard, but I've found this to be very tedious to set up. I wasn't able to get MinGW builds to integrate well in Visual Studio.

2. Cygwin. I love this (coming from a Linux background), but I worry that this is too heavyweight, uncomfortable for people used to the Win32 environment, and I don't know how well it produces optimized Win32 builds. I'm guessing Visual Studio integration would be very difficult if possible at all.

Is Visual Studio Express recommended? I haven't tried it, but I see Microsoft is offering it for free. Any licensing issues to be aware of? I poked around on their site but didn't see any restrictions mentioned. I have my own copy of VS but I found it just about impossible to drive the C++ compiler/linker outside of the VS UI.

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

-Thomas

Advertisement
Visual Studio is the absolute standard on Windows. If you want to distribute your source for the Windows platform, then it must be buildable in Visual Studio. There is no way around that.

Quote:

Any licensing issues to be aware of?

Why would you care ? You don't distribute any part of VS. You just distribute your source. VS license restrictions do not apply to you. VS licensing would only apply to you if you distribute the VS CRTs along with your binaries. In this case, you are allowed to distribute the release CRTs.

Quote:

I have my own copy of VS but I found it just about impossible to drive the C++ compiler/linker outside of the VS UI.

While possible, you should consider not doing this. Most Windows developers will expect a VS solution file, with VS natively handling the build process rather than some homemade external build script.

I know some projects use CMake to handle the mess of build systems across platforms without having to constantly update project files and the like.

I used CMake only once, to build Box2D, but it worked perfectly. It use the linux makefiles and generate a Visual Studio project from it. Wonderful.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!