• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
solidblu1992

Bullet Physics Compiler Error

This topic is 2958 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am trying to use Bullet Physics with my SDL and OpenGL game, but it is not compiling in Code::Blocks (newest version). I am using Ubuntu 10.04. The error is an undefined reference to btAllocateFree() (not sure if that is the exact function name). How can I get this to compile (and hopefully link) correctly, or are there any walkthroughs I might have missed regarding the installation of Bullet using Ubuntu and Code::Blocks?

P.S. are there any other open-source/completely free physics libraries that are better than Bullet?

Advertisement
I have never used bullet before. But this kind of errors occur when you don't include the library into the linker (like -lGL).

Quote:
P.S. are there any other open-source/completely free physics libraries that are better than Bullet?

I don't think so.

i don't think that Bullet Physics actually has a library, static or dynamic... I did however see a tutorial before on how to make it into a library, but I'm not sure how to include that into Code::Blocks, and i'm not sure if that would actually solve my problem

Use C-Make to generate C::B workspace, that should make your life easier.

AFAIK there isn't any benchmarks out there to find out which physics engine is better. There is other open source physics engines such as ODE, Tokamak, PAL, OPAL and tons of other physics engines that they are a little unknown.

Regards to choosing which physics engine to use, download their SDK and have a look at their docs and choose one that's more easier to use for you, because all of them have their cons/pros.

guy#1 says "I like ODE, because I find it more stable" ; guy#2 "I use Bullet cause that's more advanced"; guy#3 "I like PhysX and other commercial ones because they are well documented and has better community support"; No one of them [mostly] has used other engines or tried to integrate them too [because that's a real pain], so take them as some guides to light the path.

thank you all for your help

regarding cmake, could you possibly direct me to a tutorial on how to use it to make a Code::Blocks workspace, or tell me how?

google first result:
http://www.bulletphysics.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=&f=9&t=3871

it tells how to create the static library for bullet. if you don't want to do that, then you need to include source files in your project which is a total pain in terms of number of files.

How to create C::B workspace through CMake : http://bulletphysics.org/mediawiki-1.5.8/index.php/Installation#Building

This one isn't C::B related, but should give you the idea : http://bulletphysics.org/mediawiki-1.5.8/index.php/Creating_a_project_from_scratch

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!