• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Catastrophe

University bound student, looking for help!

This topic is 3033 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi everyone, I have very minor programming experience (basics of the basics with turing and VB, most of which I don't remember) and am going into software engineering/computer science at university later this year. I have a few questions for you guys!

1. Which would I prefer as a game developer, Software Eng or Computer science? I would like to program as well as play a role in the design of the game.

2. I assume i'm going to be learning programming in university, and I suck at drawing in real life but I want to get better in order to be decent at design. Are there any links/tutorials that could guide me? Also, would it be wise if I tried to make some 2D sprite art (which I hear is hard, so I suppose an early start would help me out)

3. Any beginner programming tutorials that I would benefit from?

4. Any helpful tips? I'm an 18 year old youngling that would love to hear what the experienced would have to say. = )

Advertisement
1. Major in Computer Science. You learn a lot more about computers that helps you understand how programming works in Computer Science. Software Engineering is good, but I think you get a better full understanding with Computer Science.

3. http://www.cplusplus.com/

You should be able to get a very good understanding of programming from that website. It's the best one available.

4. Pay attention in class. That's all you have to do.

1. Read the FAQs in the Breaking In forum.
2. Do it if you want to. Don't worry about if it's "wise" or not.
3. Yes.
4. Yes.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!