• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Martalo7

Trying To Become A Game Developer. Need Help.

This topic is 2860 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey everyone, I'm currently in college taking basic classes and my major is Gaming And Simulations Programming. I've only just started so I haven't learned anything on the subject yet. I'm wondering if anyone can help me out to learn the basics around the gaming industry. Anything that would help me start out to get a good idea of what to expect. Also, any projects anyone may be working on that could use the insight of a beginner and help me out along the way would be great. Please help me I would appreciate a lot.

Advertisement
Quote:
I'm wondering if anyone can help me out to learn the basics around the gaming industry.
As a developer, your first point is to get started with a programming language. You don't need to ask us for help. There are plenty of resources to consult. You can go to the forum FAQ, and search on this forum for past discussions. We have so many questions weekly about how to get started, what programming language, etc., that you cannot have trouble finding information.

Since you are currently in college, you can also look at your own classes and see what they teach. Given that your major is Games and Simulations Programming, it follows that your classes are going to teach you how to get started with programming.

Quote:
Also, any projects anyone may be working on that could use the insight of a beginner and help me out along the way would be great.
There is no insight of a beginner. You won't be working on any real world projects in the beginning. You should pick up programming, and start to learn from the ground up. Once you're able to complete stepping stone projects on your own, you can consider working on larger projects with other people.

Thank you very much. I appreciate your help. I'll check out the forums and the FAQ sections. Hopefully I can pick everything up easily. In your opinion is programming language easy to learn?

I started with C++ because I heard it was the most widely used language in the game industry. However, everyone on these forums say you should start with either C# or Python. I agree with them. Even though I started with C++ it has a hard learning curve for a beginner. I recommend C#, its almost the same as C++, just more user friendly and is actually easy to create decent looking programs with minimal difficulty for a beginner. Which is really nice, because a lot of newbie programmers who start with C++ get a little dismayed to see after learning so much they can only make command line programs. After you learn C# it will be no problem picking up on C++.

Quote:
Original post by Martalo7
Also, any projects anyone may be working on that could use the insight of a beginner and help me out along the way would be great

Use the Help Wanted forum.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!