• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
slynk

Help Finding Resources

This topic is 2950 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I can't quite think of good keywords to search for what I want. I want to learn about the popular ways as to how code is split up. My code is getting too messy, I'm running into problems where my headers link to each other and won't compile, forcing me to move things around. I want a resource to give me a good "template" as to what people split their code up into. Either keywords for me to search or links would help. Thanks ^^

Edit: Also, is there a good flow-charting program for programmers? I can do it on paper but a program would be easier.

[Edited by - slynk on August 22, 2010 10:16:02 PM]

Advertisement
What you're looking for is not how to split up your code -- you're looking for how to organize it, how to structure it.

Quote:
Original post by slynk
I can't quite think of good keywords to search for what I want. I want to learn about the popular ways as to how code is split up. My code is getting too messy, I'm running into problems where my headers link to each other and won't compile, forcing me to move things around. I want a resource to give me a good "template" as to what people split their code up into. Either keywords for me to search or links would help. Thanks ^^
The term you might be looking for is 'refactoring'.

Refactoring helps a lot. That'll get me started reworking my code. Thank you. Both of you.

Quote:
I'm running into problems where my headers link to each other and won't compile, forcing me to move things around.
I'm going to assume you mean either C or C++ headers. If you've got compilation or linker errors, you don't have a messiness issue. Instead, you have a correctness issue.

I'd recommend going through the Gamedev article on organizing source files.

Not really a code refactoring suggestion but how about learning about UML. You can think of UML as a graphical representation of code (or at least as close to it as you can get!).

A class diagram would give you a nice look at your system and can help you inderstand relationships between your classes without the beed to continually switch between source files etc.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!