• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
aarbron

_CrtDumpMemoryLeaks() vs dangling handles

This topic is 2956 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Can _CrtDumpMemoryLeaks() detect windows handles that aren't properly freed? I noticed that deliberately commenting out a FindClose didn't give any result. Omitting a simple delete is still detected, so I know it's working somehow.

Advertisement
No, it won't. Windows handles aren't part of the CRT. You can use the htrace functionality of windbg to detect leaked handles and I believe that Application Verifier has some sort of leaked Windows resources tracking though I've never used it for that purpose myself.

Nope, handle leaks aren't the same as memory leaks (Although a handle leak could cause a memory leak).

There are tools available to find handle leaks, although I don't know of any offhand. Personally, I just keep a vague eye on Task Manager's handle counts :P

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!