• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
dist0rted

Texture Color Key Doesn't Completely Work? (C++/Direct3D9)

This topic is 2859 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

http://i.imagehost.org/0651/screenie.jpg

I'm using D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() to create the texture with a color key of 0xFFFF00FF (pink) (or D3DCOLOR_XRGB(255, 0, 255)) and then using D3DXSprite->Draw() to render it.

What's going on here? I assure you that the only two color values in the image are Pink (255, 0, 255) and White.

I wouldn't normally post on something like this but it's had me stumped for two days and has stopped my progress in my game engine.

Thanks,
SteveO

Code: (the variables are specified in the parent function)

if (D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx(m_pGraphics->GetDevice(), // Graphics Device Object
pSrcFile, // Filename
iWidth, // Width Within Image (-1 for Whole Image)
iHeight, // Height Within Image (-1)
D3DX_DEFAULT, // Mip Levels
D3DUSAGE_RENDERTARGET, // Usage
D3DFMT_A8R8G8B8, /* Format - 32 bit if not already, D3DFMT_UNKNOWN to load from file */
D3DPOOL_DEFAULT, // Pool
D3DX_FILTER_NONE, // Filter
D3DX_FILTER_NONE, // Mip Filter
dwColorKey, // Color Key (255, 0, 255)
&m_ImageInfo, // Image Information (out)
NULL, // Palette (for 256 colors)
&m_pTexture) != S_OK) // Texture object (out)
return DGERR_CREATETEXTURE;

Advertisement
The source image file is a 64x64 .jpg, and I have also tried 24-bit .bmp with no success. The color key isn't stored in any way. As far as I know I just have to call it from the D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() function. I have heard of getting alpha values from .tga files and such but if this would work like it used to for me years ago it'd be much easier.

I'm an idiot.

I was saving to a low quality .jpg that converted pixels to different colors.

I just slapped myself.

Thanks for reading.

-SteveO

You shouldn't be using JPEG for textures at all - JPEG is a lossy format, and the compression it uses becomes very obvious when the image is zoomed or tiled - something that happens to textures most of the time.

I'd recommend PNG or DDS.

I switched to PNG, thanks for the tip.

I haven't done any C++ in over a year, but I'm taking a C++ class at the third college I'm going to this semester so I figured I'd present him with a game at the end of the semester for some extra credit and make an A for the first time in my life.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!