Size of a Model

Started by
6 comments, last by F4113ND3MON 13 years, 7 months ago
I'm using XNA 3.0 in VS 2008.

How to find the exact size of a Model in *.fbx format?
Advertisement
width? height? depth? memory usage? binary size? ascii size? compressed size? triangle count? vertex count?

There are many sizes in this world. If you want to find an exact size, you need to specify exactly what 'size' you mean...
yeah, I've always wondered: does size matter? (no pun intended) When I took my 3D animation class in high scool, I just kind of eyeballed the models. For all I knew I could have been making them massive. Could this have had an effect on my render times?
p.s. I was using the Autodesk program almost identical to Maya.
Quote:Original post by F4113ND3MON

You mean Power Animator? Was never an autodesk product (although I assume they now own the rights to it).

Quote:When I took my 3D animation class in high scool, I just kind of eyeballed the models. For all I knew I could have been making them massive. Could this have had an effect on my render times?

Again, what size metric are you on about? If you mean vertex count (the better metric to use than poly count), then yes it can have an effect, but it's normally fairly insignificant compared to the number of rendering samples you are taking (assuming you mean offline rendering). For GPU based stuff it depends on more metrics than simply vertex count (eg texture sizes, shader complexity etc).

If you mean physical scale of the model then it's normally pretty moot for render times (apart from models that fill up more area in the screen will require more pixels to be shaded).
I'm talking about the Length, Breadth and Height.

I've created a Model using MilkShape in *.fbx format and have loaded it into my project. I want to implement collision detection using that Model.

By hit-and-trial method, I've found its size but I'm asking
"Is there a way to do so?"
You could loop through all the vertices of the model and store the minimum and maximum vertices found. This will give you a bounding box for the model, and from that you can work out the size.

Better still is to create the model first using a known scale, 1.0 = 1 metre for example, or 1.0 = 1cm, it's up to you.

That way all your models will be in correct scale with each other....which is kind of useful :)

Original post by RobTheBloke
Quote:Original post by F4113ND3MON

You mean Power Animator? Was never an autodesk product (although I assume they now own the rights to it).

Quote:
If you mean physical scale of the model then it's normally pretty moot for render times (apart from models that fill up more area in the screen will require more pixels to be shaded).

yeah. we never went deep enough into it as number of pixels or individual triangles that make up a moidel (which I've since leaned about) but I'm in between high school and college at the moment so the other things you mentioned are a bit out of my league. I hope to learn soon though!
sorry. i'm new to foums i didn't mean to quote myself.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement