• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
RPR

A Question About Engines And Programming

This topic is 3032 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everyone.

I been working with Allegro for a few time, and I still have plan to work with that for other month or maybe more. But I recently have a doubt about what step to take after that.

1. When I "finish" to program with Allegro, what it's recommendable? Go to programa with OpenGL or DirectX? Or work with an engine 2D or 3D?

2. I been reading about UDK, that apparently it's a really good engine, it's a good choice go from Allegro directly to UDK?

Thanks

Advertisement
I guess this entirely depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

Are you attempting to write multi platform games? If so what platforms? Is your goal to learn more about making a fully functioning game without writing all of the engine, or are you looking to do more of the programming using an API only to deal with any platform specific stuff?

Also note I am not familiar with either so I cannot vouch for quality and ease of use but it does seem to me that they offer a different set of services (albeit with some overlap) but really it depends on which one helps you the most in whatever it is you are trying to accomplish.

So, I want to learn something about the API, but I don't wanna stay in work with graphics, I really like it's programming, so I may want to learn something about a 3D API and later start with a engine that handle very well all this stuff.

I'm looking to make my games oriented to Windows, and I would like write different functions for the games without worried about how the API gonna handle, I don't know if you understand me.

And my question it's to if UDK is too advanced for this situation, and maybe start with another engine it's the best choice?

The unreal engine's UDK doesn't come with source code so all your work in the UDK has to be done with two scripting languages called Kismet and unreal script.

If you are looking to become a professional game programmer, learning the unreal engine by using the UDK could be useful to you, but not as useful as getting more experience working with a real programming language.

I say either learn DX or OpenGL, or look at an open sourced engine where you get source code along with it so you can learn more about programming!

Two decent open sourced engines are Ogre and Irrlicht

Ogre: http://www.ogre3d.org/
Irrlicht: http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/

Another route you might be interested in would be XNA. XNA lets you make games in C# that run on both windows and the xbox 360. You can even put your games on the xbox live marketplace. C# is a lot easier for a beginner to pick up and it's a lot harder to shoot yourself in the foot so you should be able to get better results a lot faster.

good luck!

You can usefully learn either API, and if you want to get serious about it I'd personally recommend learning both in the longer term.

As to which one is best for your first, in my experience OpenGL is much much easier to get started with but can get (in my opinion) horribly complex and messy (and quite vague) when you move on to VBOs, shaders and render to texture. D3D tends to throw you in at the deep end a little but it seriously does not get more difficult and by the time you have a basic mastery of it the worst will be over. OpenGL also abstracts away a lot of the more hardware specific stuff so that you can just get on with writing code, but when the abstraction leaks you can be hit with weird performance and/or stability problems. D3D is more low-level and forces you to deal with the hardware specific stuff yourself, but you can be more confident that what you end up with is going to work and perform correctly. Overall, knowing D3D will make you a better OpenGL programmer and knowing OpenGL will make you a better D3D programmer.

So make your initial choice based on which coding style you feel most comfortable with and don't pay any attention to any of the holy wars you might find elsewhere on the internet. :)

In my opinion you should learn DirectX 10. Its better to learn the difficult first. In the beginning it will be really hard, but eventually it will turn in to "sea of roses" after some years :D
There are many books out there to help you out...
I started with this one:http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-3D-Game-Programming-DirectX/dp/1598220535/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1282772560&sr=8-1

And the you can read this one: http://wiki.gamedev.net/index.php/D3DBook:Book_Cover (Written by some members of gamedev) Really good book

So, you recommend me, that better work with the API's directly or with an engine that let me handle all this API's in better way, like Ogre?

I been thinking in learn OpenGL and DirectX for making me a more complete professional.

So another question is, also of Ogre And Irrlicht, there is a other good engine in which I can work on?

And the last question is, when I finish of program with Allegro, it's truly recommendable pass directly to 3D or maybe there is another step before that??

Thanks

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!