• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Desperado

Drawing a distance map on a mesh

This topic is 3033 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello folks, I have the following problem to solve:

I created a fitting algorithm that basically fits a superquadric to a set of points which are the vertices of a mesh. I have a mapping that can project every point on the mesh to its closest point on the superquadric surface. This mapping also measures the distance between a mesh point and its closest sq surface point. What I now need to do is to de facto reverse the mapping, that means I have points liing on the sq surface an I need to assign a color value to them given by the closest mesh point.

Basically, I need to project the whole mesh surface onto the sq.

So far, I had the following idea:

- Create a copy of the mesh model
- Project every point of the copy mesh model to its closest surface point on the sq (this means deforming the model so it roughly looks like the sq).
- Use this deformed model as some kind of the texture.

Do you have a better idea? If no, what is the best method to achieve what I wrote above?

Thanks alot!

Ok, I'll write it again more shortly:

- I have a mesh. The mesh's vertices are colored according to their closest distances to an sq surface.
- I have an sq.
- For every vertex on the mesh, I can determine its closest vertex on the sq surface.
- What I need to do: For every sq point, determine its closest vertex on the mesh and sample its color value.
- The problem: I have no sq point -> mesh point mapping
- The idea: Somehow create a 3D texture from the mesh and let the GPU do the sampling.

[Edited by - Desperado on August 25, 2010 3:46:09 AM]

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!