• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Starfox

Channel "leakage" in DirectSound8

This topic is 2840 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm writing some code with DirectSound8, and I'm running into leakage across stereo channels - I'm playing a sine wave I generate procedurally, and I expand the output such that the left channel has the sine wave data and the right channel is all zeroes - and I checked the data I write into the locked portion of the buffer, and every value at an odd index is indeed zero. However, when I play it back, and take out the left earphone, the right one has a faint version of the sine wave playing in it, which is disturbing, as this shouldn't be happening. Any ideas as to why that could be? My hardware is an Asus G51Vx-A1 laptop, if that helps.

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Evil Steve
Does this happen with WinAmp or Windows Media Player? It might just be a hardware / driver "feature".

You're right, it happens in WinAmp and WMP. How can I pin-point the culprit now? Driver? Hardware? The hardware is Intel Azalia running MS provided drivers, and I have the Azalia reference on my desk and it mentions nothing about this..

What's your speaker setup listed as in your sound properties? IIRC, Windows does crossfeeding if you have it set to headphones.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!