Where to start?

Started by
21 comments, last by MaulingMonkey 13 years, 7 months ago
I am starting a game developing company called GameITGames
( http://www.gameitgames.com ) And I was wondering: In making a game, where do I start? I have the Language (C++) the compiler (Notepad++) So... Where DO I start?

Any help appreciated.

EDIT: Sorry, I phrased a few things wrong :P We aren't starting a company YET, just a developing TEAM for now, and when I say "So... Where DO I start?" I mean, where do I start making a game? How do I start it off? We have the storyline, the art everything but the game its self.

[Edited by - BlazingShadow on August 26, 2010 5:13:16 PM]
Advertisement
Notepad++ is not a compiler.

If you intend to be a programmer, starting a company at this point is almost certainly jumping the gun. Start by learning a programming language -- take a class, read a book, get a degree in the subject -- whatever works for you. As you learn, start with simple text based games (hangman, guess the number, etc), and work your way up to more complex games.

Eventually, you'll move on to simple 2D graphics games (pong, pacman, tetris, this kind of thing). At this point, you'll have a good idea for how to proceed to even more complex games: Learn the concepts involved, learn new APIs, and build up. From here, you can move on to more advanced things such as 3D, multiplayer, and so forth.
Quote:Original post by BlazingShadow
I am starting a game developing company... So... Where DO I start?

As Stephen Covey says in Seven Habits of Highly Effective People: 2. Begin with the end in mind.

You and the others in your new company must sit down together and discuss:

a. The goal for the business -- are you going to be a publisher or a developer of games? Know which one, and know the ramifications.

b. Write your business plan. Where is the money coming from, where is the money going, and when will the company start showing a profit? If you are in the United States, you can get free startup advice from the Small Business Administration (sba.gov).

c. Draft a legal agreement, articles of incorporation, like a collaboration agreement -- it spells out the expectations and responsibilities of each partner in the company and the ownership.
Some people want to start a company because they live in a non-game area and don't want to move, or don't want to work for somebody else. Some people want to start a company because they've earned their stripes in the industry and now want to jump up to the top. Others think a "company" is what it's called when some dudes get together and make a game together. Make sure you're all on the same page before going into business together. You'll probably have to hire a lawyer.

d. Once you've done the above, you will probably want to create at least one original game together, so you'll have something to show investors and business partners. Write a GDD and TDD.

e. Once you've done the above, your technical director will know where to begin re the code. Start hiring art and audio people after coding has begun.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Quote:Original post by Tom Sloper
a. The goal for the business -- are you going to be a publisher or a developer of games? Know which one, and know the ramifications.

Game Developer.

b. Write your business plan. Where is the money coming from, where is the money going, and when will the company start showing a profit? If you are in the United States, you can get free startup advice from the Small Business Administration (sba.gov).

No, we're not in the USA by the way. We already have the business plan.

c. Draft a legal agreement, articles of incorporation, like a collaboration agreement -- it spells out the expectations and responsibilities of each partner in the company and the ownership.
Some people want to start a company because they live in a non-game area and don't want to move, or don't want to work for somebody else. Some people want to start a company because they've earned their stripes in the industry and now want to jump up to the top. Others think a "company" is what it's called when some dudes get together and make a game together. Make sure you're all on the same page before going into business together. You'll probably have to hire a lawyer.

Sorry, phrased it a bit wrong, we're not starting a company YET, just a developing team for now. Also, what would we need a lawyer for yet?

d. Once you've done the above, you will probably want to create at least one original game together, so you'll have something to show investors and business partners. Write a GDD and TDD.

THIS is what i meant, where do I start with making a game. Sorry, I really should have phrased my question better.

e. Once you've done the above, your technical director will know where to begin re the code. Start hiring art and audio people after coding has begun.

I understand this bit :D

So really, what I meant by Where do I start, is Where do I start in making a game?

Also, if Notepad++ isn't a compiler, then what is it? And if Notepad++ isn't a compiler, what IS a compiler? :P
"Also, if Notepad++ isn't a compiler, then what is it? And if Notepad++ isn't a compiler, what IS a compiler? :P"

You are light years away from being able to write a game...let alone sell it.

This reminds me of the time when I took a cow to Ascot and said, "I want to enter a race. How do I ride this thing?"
Using that as a metaphor, I could say, I know how to ride the cow, I just don't know how to get on it.
Notepad++ is a text editor, albeit a fancy one. C++ is essentially written in human-readable text. You can write C++ in Notepad++. A compiler, however, programmatically reads (parses) the C++ "text", and converts (compiles) it into a "language" that the target platform (ie: Windows, Linux, etc.) can execute.

You can use Notepad++, but you will also need to obtain a compiler. I'm sure, if you say what OS you're planning on targeting, you will get suggestions on what compilers you can use.
I am targeting Windows and thank you, you have been one of the most helpful people here.
On Windows, you want to use Visual C++.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement