• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Aqua Costa

Is this normal?

This topic is 2855 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I finally finished the implementation of light pre pass in my engine, but the performance dropped a lot...

My project uses blinn-phong lighting and normal mapping and basic PhysX-powered collision detection with MSAA 8 samples with quality = 16 and its running at slow 44-45 fps.

Well I still have to make some optimizations like running per-sample shader only in edges, use depth-stencil buffer from G-Buffer pass in material pass and some other things...

But I full scene have less and 4000 vertices in a resolution of 1440*900 so I guess 45 fps is lower than it should be because I can play games like Far cry 2, Fallout 3 at maximum quality very smoothly.

I got a nVidia GeForce 9800 GT GPU and a Intel Pentium Dual Core 2.60 Ghz GPU.

So what you think? is 45 fps normal or I'm probably doing something wrong?

Advertisement
There's lots of optimization techniques you've probably missed out, and comparing your renderer to that of a AAA title seems pointless. They've got some great software engineers working on the renderer code using the well optimized code/techniques.

Anyway, how are you rendering the lights? If you're rendering full-screen quads, you could try to render spheres/cones other volumes instead... this will minimize the fillrate when rendering the lights.

The Light Pre Pass technique renders the scene geometry twice right? Couldn't you just switch to a standard deferred approach? or even a standard forward renderer?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!