• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
guitarstar26

What does F12 do to DirectX?

This topic is 2945 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

If I press F12 while running my DX9 application my FPS will drop from ~2400 to exactly 30.

If I assign VK_F12 to do something useless like display a MessageBox() I still get the FPS drop to 30. Pressing it again reverts this effect.

Advertisement
I believe F12 is (always) reserved by the system for debugging use. I imagine then you're toggling a debugging mode of some sort, perhaps a PIX session.

Since 2000 F12 is set to trigger a manual breakpoint. Basically it should stop your program and break into the debugger.

Seems that pressing F12 again continues? In that case you'll probably end up with a lost device.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!