• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Butabee

Item system without database software

This topic is 2848 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I want to make an item system for a multiplayer game without using database software but I don't know what the best way of doing it would be.

Any advice would be welcome. eg, how I should store the items on disk, etc.

Advertisement
Why would you not want to use a DB? There are some very good free ones, PostGre, MySQL, and even Oracle has an express version.

You could code something using files, but it would probably end up way slower, and more complicated than using a database.

Also, what language are you using?

Even if you don't store the data in a common DB you would actually get a DB by just doing so as you would need the same things, only way around for ex. index and such inside the file in some way is to have each item have it's own file but as you would still need them ordered and not just random it would still technically count as a database ;)

So it will probably be much easier to just use a database, either by own design or some that already exist.

I'm not using database software because the players have to be able to run the server software on their machines and using database software will make that too complicated.

I want players to be able to run the one exe for the server and that's all.

SQLite is a database that needs no separate server setup.
Otherwise, as Echt said, you're probably going to have to write a lot of code to solve a problem that has already been solved.

Wish I knew about SQLite before I started this project, but anyways, I have a bit of an idea how I can manage items without it, and it shouldn't take a whole lot of code.

Hi there i noticed you just stated that

I'm not using database software because the players have to be able to run the server software on their machines and using database software will make that too complicated.

I dont know the quote tag for this forum so im sorry but a hint of advice

Seeing that this forum thread is under Networking im assuming this game will be a MMO perhaps?

And the main thing you also want to focus on is Security.

As a Former Expert in Emulation Network Programing i can tell you already having Server Code on a local client.exe is one of the worst things to do as a person can just Reverse Engineer the software and through that helps them able to make emulators

Yes you will have to have some server code within the client.exe but try your hardest not to

Especially having a local database within the client.exe that right there is a Emulators Dream to see

Hope this Helps

Quote:
Original post by wpalmer
Hi there i noticed you just stated that

I dont know the quote tag for this forum so im sorry but a hint of advice

Seeing that this forum thread is under Networking im assuming this game will be a MMO perhaps?

And the main thing you also want to focus on is Security.

As a Former Expert in Emulation Network Programing i can tell you already having Server Code on a local client.exe is one of the worst things to do as a person can just Reverse Engineer the software and through that helps them able to make emulators

Yes you will have to have some server code within the client.exe but try your hardest not to

Especially having a local database within the client.exe that right there is a Emulators Dream to see

Hope this Helps

I'm aiming to make sort of a small scale to MMO hybrid. Meaning the server software will be distributed with the client so players can run their own server for just a small group of friends or many more people if their connection and system can handle it. There will be no official servers.

I'm not real worried about people emulating it, and honestly, I don't think there's much point in emulating a game like this since they could just get the official server software with a distribution of the client.

This opens up more pirating avenues, but what can I do?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!