Thy favorite creation

Started by
21 comments, last by BeanDog 13 years, 7 months ago
Greetz Geeks / Coders / Designers / Hobbits / etc. !

Maybe it is not forbidden in this forums to enquire about members' most remarkable / favourite IT related achievement. If so, then go on, as it is well-known that even technical curiosity is very healthy !!! :)

My fav. : T. Pascal to C source code translator (for 1-2 units), a long-time ago, written in Pascal, about 5000 lines.
Today: a non-scroller platformer is my project, (python, pygame), which is much more entertaining to code. :))
Link / screenshot: None. Imagine a Sinclair- game screenshot. :)

and what about thy creations ???
That was the time, the Golden Age, when C-64 and Amiga ruled!
Advertisement
At the moment Tangent is my favorite, which is perhaps a little sad...
Negate (what a cheerful, loose and inquisitive community. )
That was the time, the Golden Age, when C-64 and Amiga ruled!
I once coded a java minesweeper that sort of worked.
"It's like naming him Asskicker Monstertrucktits O'Ninja" -Khaiy

Probably All Time:
Joe Gunn, a game I wrote 3 years ago for the C64. I had it back then when I was erm... younger. I never got around to do assembly but did learn programming (Basic V2, woo!).

Anyhow, that's how I got to programming. 3 years ago I decided to see if I could finally get my head around it. And lo and behold, it became a game.

Second Place:
An (advertising) adventure game for DOS, Iron Willy. Part adventure, logic puzzle and Pacman with a twist.

Today:
Any current WIP usually. Too many to show them all.

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

some stuff

But maybe my favourite is my first game, a Scorched Earth clone for Dos (Works well on XP without emulators for some weird reason). I'm about to recompile it, adding English text (it's Hungarian ATM), maybe I port it to Windows. It's a freakin cool playable game with AI lots of effects weapons and stuff (all the good ol' Dos 256 color index stuff). I actually play with it from time to time.

And the minesweeper game, sometimes I play it for hours and hours.

My favorite was the hardest thing I ever did in my career: Shanghai Great Moments.
http://www.mobygames.com/game/shanghai-great-moments

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Probably when I wrote an assembler for the Commodore 64 (with the 8 bit 6502 processor) in the mid 1980s.

I found a source code listing in a magazine at the time for an assembler written in BASIC. I spent several hours typing the listing in, correcting until it ran sucessfully.

Note: The Commodore 64 had a built-in BASIC interpreter in ROM.

I thought, what program should I produce using this assembler written in BASIC?

Maybe some of you can guess what is coming next? Yes, use it to produce an assembler written in 6502 assembly language (producing a program in native 6502 processor machine code).

It was a fantastic learning experience regarding "low level" CPU instructions. When it came to learning high(er) level languages later, it made them much easier to learn knowing that there implementations would use the "lower level" constructs I had learned earlier.

BTW, The assembler I wrote in assembly language was several hundred times faster than the BASIC version.

P.S. I am not an assembly language freak. I haven't used it for ages (I use c++ mostly), but it was great for learning at the time.
For the love of god, please tell me that you've just omitted your error checking code for brevity, and you don't really assume that all those functions succeed.
I wrote a very flexible and somewhat high performance ILP solver in C# over the course of about a week, back in C# 2.0-era, to learn the language. It's my favorite because I've used it in many, many other projects. It has turned into a real work horse for me, and over the years I've improved it greatly and made it more efficient.

It is pretty much the go-to tool for about 70-80% of problems that I look at and say to myself "uhg, I really don't want to have to write a solution for this right now. If only there was an easy way that wasn't horribly inefficient". I've used it as the back end for everything from compiler optimization problems, to AI in my game projects, to data number crunching. All sorts of optimization problems, really.
Moving to the lounge.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement