C++ the next step

Started by
5 comments, last by Dunge 13 years, 8 months ago
Hey

I have recently finished the basics of C++ of the main syntax of all the commonly used functions etc in C++.

The stuff i learnt is basically everything here:
http://xoax.net/comp/cpp/console/index.php

Although all the tutorials have basically just showned numbers letters etc in a dos output.

Then the tutorial ended. So whilst i got the basics down - im wondering if jumping to graphical output is too far a step from here or is that my next step?

Based on what those tutorials have where should i go next to continue my learnings and advance my skills in game development (which is my main reason of learning this langauge)

Thank you
Advertisement
Quote:Then the tutorial ended. So whilst i got the basics down
Reading a tutorial doesn't make you competent. You can say you have the basics down once you have written a number of programs on your own.

Quote:im wondering if jumping to graphical output is too far a step from here
Yes.

Stick to console programs. Come up with game ideas that only involve a console. Make those games. Once you are writing fairly complex programs by yourself, you can think about exploring graphics.
While I was just helping you with your number * 5.7 issue, I would say stay away from graphics. You need to learn the language a little more before you go jumping ahead of yourself. Retyping code that you learned in a tutorial will help you get started, what you really need to do is understand why certain things work a certain way and why you would use them. You are going to find yourself getting very overwhelmed jumping to say DirectX. Practice making console games, like random guessing game, feel comfortable there, move onto something harder, like creating a little text-based RPG.

I tried to jump into graphics really early on and I got frustrated a lot, because you end up going "how do they know to do that?". You need to practice more utilizing the different apsects of the language and understanding why you are using this, there are so many ways you can program something. Just stick to the basics and implement new things as you go.

cplusplus.com has great tutorials to work through, you will not learn all this stuff over night and are not expected to. Advance forward as you feel comfortable, if you are asking if you should jump to graphical programming, you probably aren't ready. That is my advice, I hope this helps you out.
I find these "do you think I can move to X now?" odd. I don't mean that in a bad way, I just don't understand the need to find validation from others. Granted, you're trying to get advice from a more experienced crowd, but if you want to try moving "up", why not just try it and see if you're in over your head, so to speak. Just try to be honest with yourself, if you find that you're really struggling.

I can imagine you're itching to hear, "Yes, you can start programming games, since you've finished a hand full of basic C++ tutorials.", but you're probably not going to get that. The most likely answer you're going to get is along the lines of, "No! Pay your dues and inch forward, like the rest of us." There are no shortage of these kind of posts and that is the answer they mostly get.

So, to sum up my take: Try it and see. Push yourself forward, because that's the only way to learn. If you find yourself struggling, take a step back until your problem becomes clearer. Sure, you're going to side-step a lot of the fundamentals (fundamentals that the "inch forward" method gives you), but you'll be making games.
Also pick up a book on C++ (many in the forum faq) like "Effective C++" or the like. There is a lot of stuff in those tutorials that you linked to that isn't proper C++, and that is a mistake many "C++ tutorials" make. The other thing is that you need to pick up on some important groundwork covered in most "Algorithms and data structures" classes. Many of those techniques are in STL in the <algorithms> header and in structures like std::vector, std::list, std::stack, std::map, etc..
Hey there!

Quote:So whilst i got the basics down - im wondering if jumping to graphical output is too far a step from here or is that my next step?

Who knows? Just try it, it is not like it will hurt you: http://www.sfml-dev.org/tutorials/1.6

(I linked you to SFML because so far it is the best 2d framework that I used in C++. There might be better, and there might be better tutorials.

Also if you are a newcomer concerning (game) programming and you don't have a good reason to program in C++, I'm not so sure if it is the best language to begin with. But I don't want to turn this thread into a religious argument, so... I didn't say anything.)
Quote:Original post by oler1sStick to console programs. Come up with game ideas that only involve a console. Make those games. Once you are writing fairly complex programs by yourself, you can think about exploring graphics.

While we are used to say stay in console and learn everything before going further, I don't really agree about making console games. I think creating any "real-time action" game using the console with characters and fixed size, handling end lines and everything is as, if not more, harder than using a 2D library for displaying a bitmap at a certain position on the screen and moving it.

If the guy really understood and will use everything on this site, he is ready cause there's quite enough for a good start. Problem is, most people just fly through lessons and forget about what it was really about and when/why he would use it. Then they try to write their own code they just comes up blank with no idea how to structure their things.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement