Sign in to follow this  

Feedback for my first level

This topic is 2634 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I'm studying in 3d arts and I recently created a map in UDK for an exam, I really liked the concept so I decided to push it further, so far I've only begun to upgrade the textures and i'm currently modeling foliage, but I'd like to know what people think about what I have done up until now. I'm open to whatever comment, good or bad, I want to improve and for that, I need to know what my mistakes are and what I can add to make It better.

Here's a link to a video of this map; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxzX2sYtJtY
If anyone wants better shots of certain objects, I can take closer snapshots.

Hope to get feedback soon!

A little update on my map, I just finished creating (putting together pieces of tutorials and examples on internet) two shaders for my map, a Half lambert and an outline post process.
to view the video, click on the link below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0dx2tFEvCE

[Edited by - special821 on September 3, 2010 1:21:44 AM]

This looks really nice! I think the two questions I would pose to you are why does the water look so contrasted and bright next to the land and why are the textures on the ground and castle more realistic and muted then the toon shader clouds and trees.

I think they actually work well together, but I also think you could push them to make them more harmonious together. Try using a ramp shader if you're in Maya on the cartooney clouds, giving them more depth, or try making the castle more cartooney if you haven't already gone their.

I can imagine some really cool little toon shaded characters living in this world you created, so nice work!

Well the technical aspects of level building aren't my forte, it looks very attractive, especially the approach over the hills, they come up very well - it reminds me of the long-gone environments of Dizzy if they'd had the technology :) Everyone's mentioned the clouds, which of course are ripe for the taking, but I was just wondering, is the water explorable or usable in other ways?

Quote:
Original post by jacksonism
is the water explorable or usable in other ways?

Yes, it's explorable, I've long thought of adding an underwater part, but I think caves may ruin the artistic style i'm trying to get from that level. but otherwise, yes, you can go underwater and swim, for a certain period of time before you start losing health.

Once you've learned the basics, using UDK is really simple, it's really easy to import assets, you click on import and create a (or use an existing) package and group to store it in, then it's easy to access, the material editor is both simple and really complicated, making a material is easy, but to make something incrdible is a bit rougher, but still achievable. There's unrealScript wich is like java mixed with C++ if you want to code for custom games (for that, there's the nfringe plugin for visual studio wich is usefull as it knows the commands the engine will accept. And finally, there is Kismet, the visual script utility of UDK, wich is as easy to manipulate as connecting the event node to an action node performing what you want to do. With a bit of tutorials, I'd bet anybody could make a decent looking map and with a little more experience or other people (programmers) a great game is achievable.

This topic is 2634 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.