Feedback for my first level

Started by
14 comments, last by special821 13 years, 6 months ago
Hi, I'm studying in 3d arts and I recently created a map in UDK for an exam, I really liked the concept so I decided to push it further, so far I've only begun to upgrade the textures and i'm currently modeling foliage, but I'd like to know what people think about what I have done up until now. I'm open to whatever comment, good or bad, I want to improve and for that, I need to know what my mistakes are and what I can add to make It better.

Here's a link to a video of this map;

If anyone wants better shots of certain objects, I can take closer snapshots.

Hope to get feedback soon!

A little update on my map, I just finished creating (putting together pieces of tutorials and examples on internet) two shaders for my map, a Half lambert and an outline post process.
to view the video, click on the link below.

[Edited by - special821 on September 3, 2010 1:21:44 AM]
Advertisement

I have edited my map and have uploaded a new video

It looks very nice. I can imagine some sort of plataformer goin on up there on the clouds :)
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Yeah, I have actually done the collision for the clouds, because I thought about going up there already, so if I want to go up, it's possible.
I really like the cloud idea! The map looks very cartoonish, especially the trees! If that was what you were going for then you succeeded in my opinion :D
Thanks a lot, but i'm not finished, I just finished putting together a shader so my texture will look more like TF2, so more a little cartoonish feeling is going to be felt.
This looks really nice! I think the two questions I would pose to you are why does the water look so contrasted and bright next to the land and why are the textures on the ground and castle more realistic and muted then the toon shader clouds and trees.

I think they actually work well together, but I also think you could push them to make them more harmonious together. Try using a ramp shader if you're in Maya on the cartooney clouds, giving them more depth, or try making the castle more cartooney if you haven't already gone their.

I can imagine some really cool little toon shaded characters living in this world you created, so nice work!
My website and art blog!WebsiteArt Blog
Well the technical aspects of level building aren't my forte, it looks very attractive, especially the approach over the hills, they come up very well - it reminds me of the long-gone environments of Dizzy if they'd had the technology :) Everyone's mentioned the clouds, which of course are ripe for the taking, but I was just wondering, is the water explorable or usable in other ways?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Ikaroids, the space shooter for X-Box - http://www.ironstarmedia.co.uk/games/ikaroids/
Quote:Original post by jacksonism
is the water explorable or usable in other ways?

Yes, it's explorable, I've long thought of adding an underwater part, but I think caves may ruin the artistic style i'm trying to get from that level. but otherwise, yes, you can go underwater and swim, for a certain period of time before you start losing health.
How do you mean ruin the artistic style? Like the dark atmosphere would contrast too sharply with the bright overwater environment?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Ikaroids, the space shooter for X-Box - http://www.ironstarmedia.co.uk/games/ikaroids/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement