Python and Text Based Gaming

Started by
3 comments, last by joshmercer89 13 years, 7 months ago
is python and html all i would need to create a text based game in the vein of "kingdom of loathing"?

the website for that game is simply kingdomofloathing.com
Advertisement
In terms of languages, that's probably sufficient, yeah. You may want to add CSS to the list, and knowing some &#106avascript can be useful at times, but they're not strictly necessary.

You may also want to look into Django, a Python-based web framework. I've never used it, but frameworks like these can considerably speed up development, so I'd spend some time investigating the various options if I were you.

Having that said, many of these frameworks rely heavily on the MVC pattern. Even if you decide not to use a framework, it's still useful to think in terms of models (data), views (user interface - html) and controllers (processing user input).
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.
i read that Kol is written in PHP. would it be easier to learn php?
The actual http interface code should be minimal anyway, so i'd go with a language which is easier to use for general (non-web) programming. That language is Python IMHO.
i see. could i program a tic tac toe type flash/java/whatever application with python? sorry i don't know much. started to get into this stuff when i was younger but stopped and now i'm trying to get serious. thinking of taking web dev classes at the local community college.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement