old problems...

Started by
4 comments, last by fatima 13 years, 7 months ago
Hi

1 - where can I find source code for games that released recently(at least after 2004)? I know some companies release their project’s source. I have found some of them, but they are too old.

2 – I tried to implement deferred shading algorithm, while it works pretty well, but I don’t like it. It wastes a lot of video memory and decreases frame rate(by forward rendering my D3D application renders a teapot at ~1000 fps, but by using deferred shading without any optimizing frame rate changes to ~60 fps! Maybe my implementation is wrong… ).how can I manage lights and shadows of a pretty large level with a lot of lights at runtime?I have tried many methods(most of them are my own ideas), but they didn't help me.

3 – Is it possible to export classes that use std::vector<> (or other STL classes) to dll?

4 - thanks :)
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by fatima

1 - where can I find source code for games that released recently(at least after 2004)? I know some companies release their project’s source. I have found some of them, but they are too old.
If looking for AAA, then almost everything post-2004 is primarily for consoles and bound by various NDAs.

Quote:~60 fps
Vsync?

Quote:3 – Is it possible to export classes that use std::vector<> (or other STL classes) to dll?
While not recommended, the biggest problem comes from memory management. This will likely require writing a custom allocator.

Unfortunately, this results in different type of vector, which will be incompatible with almost all third-party libraries - almost none of them use generic version of vector<T,A>, but only first specialization.

But why use DLLs in the first place? Applications that are intended to be extensible in this way are *much* better off being written in C#.
If you have Steam, then Valve has recently released the full source code for Alien Swarm for free. (And the game, which is pretty nice).

I don't think there's any strings attached.
http://www.liberatedgames.com/ keep a reasonably complete list of games and game source code that have been released for free to the public. I'm not too optimistic regarding finding many games released post 2004 there though.
-LuctusIn the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move - Douglas Adams
Hi fatima,

Answer to 2:

It looks like you have a few options here; if you feel you need deferred shading, then there are optimizations you can make to make it more efficient, and there are ways to handle large arrays of dynamic lights in large levels using the standard forward rendering too.

Firstly, are you sure that deferred shading is what you want?

Secondly, in deferred shading you're probably going to be writing to different surfaces atleast 4-6 times. Meaning, for each render you'll be doing 4-6 times as many pixel writes. Deferred shading is slow, but there are ways to optimise the technique. Try to simplify the shader code, and compress the data in the gbuffer to only what is entirely necessary.

Saving the world, one semi-colon at a time.

thanks.
any other idea?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement