Easier to manage?

Started by
3 comments, last by rhm3769 13 years, 7 months ago
I'm programming this game to allow the player to select the resolution. Is it easier to manage a game that handles many image files of different resolutions or one file and adjust the resolution as required?

I'm using xna4 and winforms to display the file I'm asking about, if that makes a difference.
Advertisement
Storage versus loading speed. I think many games will downscale big images to a smaller selected format at the loading stage. Advantages:
- Less space required on disk/CD
- At the development stage, you only have to maintain 1 file (don't underestimate this).

The downside is longer loading times. What you could do to fix that issue:
- Have 1 "masterfile" map with all the original (big) image files
- Downsize ALL images when selecting a different resolution, save them in a second "work" map
- For the game itself, load from the "work" map so you only have to do the time consuming downscale step once.

Rick
So technically if I'm only really using one image for the game, scaling that could be avoided? If using multiple image files, as far as having things drawn on it or changing colors of it, would each of those files need it's own code or can a block be written to convert the pixel ranges depending on the resolution of the image used? Assuming they can be converted....
I think I'm just gonna scratch the whole using the map in winforms idea and only do what I need in winforms.... Gonna mess around with the graphics alittle bit and see if I can come up with a decent-looking gui system not using winforms....
I scratched the whole thing on using winforms, figured out how to do everything I'm needing graphics-wise.... just gotta program it to read mouse clicks and check the area of the click and send it where it needs to go. For whatever reason, I couldn't find all of this info on msdn before....

Thanks

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement