Sign in to follow this  

Distribution error diagnosis.

This topic is 2667 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey there I am trying to distribute a program compiled in VS2010 and it uses DX9.

I am using NSIS with these files being installed to my install directory.

File "Jun2010_d3dx9_43_x64.cab"
File "Jun2010_d3dx9_43_x86.cab"
File "dxdllreg_x86.cab"
File "dxupdate.cab"
File "DSETUP.dll"
File "dsetup32.dll"
File "DXSETUP.exe"

File "vcredist_x86.exe"

Then I am running the two .exe files.

nsExec::Exec '"$INSTDIR\temp\vcredist_x86.exe /q:a /c:"VCREDI~1.EXE /q:a /c:""msi
exec /i vcredist.msi /qn"" "'
;I believe this line is failing. If there is a problem.

Pop $0 # return value/error/timeout

MessageBox MB_ICONINFORMATION|MB_OK "$(^Name) The installer may pause temporarily as your DirectX Version is checked."

nsExec::Exec '"$INSTDIR\temp\DXSETUP.exe" /silent'

The program gets past the d3dx9_43.dll missing problem and now loads up the window as if about to start working then it freezes and windows 7 says its not working anymore. Its written and runs fine on 7.

I use the following includes.
#include <windows.h>
#include <mmsystem.h>
#include <d3d9.h>
#include <d3dx9.h>

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

I have installed a program using DX and the C++ distributable for MS VS 2008 before but before I did not use the code I am using now to try and install the C++ distributable.

If DX crashes it tells you whats its missing, if C++ doesn't work I would expect this error to happen. I downloaded the vcredist_x86.exe again over the top of the one I had stored previously. But in my original installer I had some cab files and a install.exe I am not sure where I got them from but they did the job for my older applications. I am assuming this is the problem, can anyone validate my diagnosis or spot an error?

I am running a test installing the redist seperately from the installer to check my results.

This topic is 2667 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.