• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
MegaPixel

OpenGL glslDevil :( so simple to use but...

This topic is 2941 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've just downloaded glslDevil to profile my opengl shaders. I have to say is very simple to use and intuitive, though my program crashes before to reach the first draw call and in particular when it comes the time to load the cgfx file, complaining about the path where the cgfx file is. Strange thing because if I start the app alone it doesn't crash.

Plus why gDebugger is so expensive :(((((( ... but this is another story :D

Does anyone tried glslDevil ? (I've tried gDebugger and I found it very easy and functional ... but it's a trial version and it's damn expensive ... )

Thanks in advance

Advertisement
Quote:

though my program crashes before to reach the first draw call and in particular when it comes the time to load the cgfx file, complaining about the path where the cgfx file is. Strange thing because if I start the app alone it doesn't crash.

You need to check your paths! Debuggers in IDEs like Visual Studio will launch your application with a different working directory than if you were to double-click the exe itself from explorer. glslDevil is likely causing a similar issue, where the current working directory isn't what you expected it to be.

Quote:
Original post by KulSeran
Quote:

though my program crashes before to reach the first draw call and in particular when it comes the time to load the cgfx file, complaining about the path where the cgfx file is. Strange thing because if I start the app alone it doesn't crash.

You need to check your paths! Debuggers in IDEs like Visual Studio will launch your application with a different working directory than if you were to double-click the exe itself from explorer. glslDevil is likely causing a similar issue, where the current working directory isn't what you expected it to be.

I tried changing the current working directory in many ways ! Thinking about the one in which I keep the project sources/exe/asset, but still...

Where I can see the current working dir in vc++ ? that could be the solution maybe ...
I'm just a bit confused ...

Quote:
Original post by Shirakana2
Did you specify the working directory in GlslDevil properly ?
You have to if you want to load files from relative path.

let's suppose my project is in C:\project\engine\ and I have the folders: effects, textures, the executables etc. in C:\project\engine

Shouldn't be that one the working dir ?

cheers

Program: C:/Documents and Settings/fsuriano/Desktop/next_engine/next_engine/next_engine_d.exe

Working Dir: C:/Documents and Settings/fsuriano/Desktop/next_engine/next_engine/

is this correct ?

It looks OK...

Here is my setup (working fine) so you can inspire:

Program: F:/MyPrototype/Debug/MyProg.exe
Working Dir: F:/MyPrototype/

And in my code I load shaders using "./Shaders/MyEffect.frag", and Shaders directory is in MyPrototype (and not MyProtoype/Debug/)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!