• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Beginner OpenGL book

This topic is 2737 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I know I know, this has prolly been asked a million times. Btw this is my first forum post, I plan on spending alot of time here so Hello all.

Anyways I did some google searching, kinda narrowed it down to 2 books.

Theirs the OpenGL Superbible.
and OpenGL(R) Programming Guide (aka the "Redbook")

From what i've heard.....the redbook isn't so much of a beginners book as a reference book.

Anyways I've had about 5 years Programming experience in C++, however NONE of it was OpenGL experience, I did a little in java but to be honest I forgot most of it (it was one class WAYYYYY back when) Needless to say i'd rather stick with a C++ based OpenGL API and preferably have the book code/samples in C/C++.

As far as my general programming experience, ZERO was in OpenGL as i've said, most of my programming has been A.I. related (Genetic Algorithms,Heuristics etc.....) So I know NOTHING about OpenGL although i've been following some of the Nehe tutorials on setting stuff up, but a book would be really nice to read in between my classes (im in grad school)

So any suggestions? I know it's been asked a bazillion times.....but books/times change :)

thanks all!

Advertisement
Trying to narrow it down to one book. I dont have tons of money as it is, something that is kinda a do-all for basics would be nice obviously lol

Books on ebay are ridiculously cheap. I've bough roughly 4 books in the price of 1. Buying books in store is almost a rip off if you have a means to buy it on ebay.

The redbook may not be a beginners book, but if you're going to buy one book that would probably be the better choice since after all it is an official guide to the API. I have the 1.1 version of it, but even that one seems to be feature rich (I'm currently working on a project with the Win32 API, so I don't do much reading).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement