Sign in to follow this  

OpenAL license

This topic is 1967 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

IANAL, but my guess is yes. I don't see any licence terms at all because OpenAL is supposed to be an open standard. I did find that the OpenAL Soft implmentation on their downloads page is LGPL, which means it is compatible with pretty much anything as long as it is a dynamic lib link not a static link

Where did Openal32.dll come from? According to the wikipedia there are two different openAL distributions one proprietary, one LGPL. If you are using the LGPL version then it is more than likely permissible(with the usual LGPL restrictions). If it is the proprietary version you will have to check with them.

OpenAL32.dll, the application doesn't run without it. If the game is executed without OpenAL installed on the computer, it must have this dll in the root directory. When you download OpenAL, you get these dlls.
And yes, I am using the LGPL version.
So should I ship the dll or have the user install OpenAL?

I would ship the redistributable installer, OAINST or what it's called, not the dll. Chances are that OpenAL is already installed anyway, but otherwise, the user can just do that then.

I've made the experience that sometimes OpenAL simply fails silently if not installed properly. Not sure why it happens, but it doesn't really matter. If it happens to an end user, I'm sure he won't blame OpenAL for it, he'll blame you.

Quote:
Original post by samoth
If it happens to an end user, I'm sure he won't blame OpenAL for it, he'll blame you.

:-)

Exactly, so a way to make sure it works is provide the dlls, right? Am I allowed to do that?

If not, I can always tell the user to install it. But then, should I ship the installation program, or just provide a link(whichever is allowed)?

Thanks!

I would distribute the installer, because as I said, I've seen silent failures when only copying around the DLL. The exact license terms are a bit unclear, but it says "free to redistribute", so... whatever.
As long as I am free to redistribute their installer, I don't really care what proprietary license the DLL is under :)

[quote name='NeoMortiny' timestamp='1283256532' post='4699367']
Cool then, I think I will be attaching the link to the installation file.
Thanks allot!
[/quote]

don't attach a link to it, include the installer in your own installer so it runs as the final step of installation, (just like most games do with for example the DirectX runtime)

Edit: reply to cornstalks here to avoid bumping(again), i need to pay more attention to postdates. sorry about this. Edited by SimonForsman

[quote name='SimonForsman' timestamp='1343429420' post='4963788']
[quote name='NeoMortiny' timestamp='1283256532' post='4699367']
Cool then, I think I will be attaching the link to the installation file.
Thanks allot!
[/quote]

don't attach a link to it, include the installer in your own installer so it runs as the final step of installation, (just like most games do with for example the DirectX runtime)
[/quote]
FYI, this thread is 2 years old.

This topic is 1967 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.