Name of the Studio

Started by
1 comment, last by Obscure 13 years, 7 months ago
When you are naming your studio, how do you know if that name is not already taken? is there any place or website to look for that information?
If there is another place (not another game studio but company related to a different kind of business)with that name in another country, can I still use that name of there is any international law that doesnt allow that?
Advertisement
It varies from country to country, state to state, etc. Google is a good bet for this, or find someone who lives where you do who has a business and ask them.

www.simulatedmedicine.com - medical simulation software

Looking to find experienced Ogre & shader developers/artists. PM me or contact through website with a contact email address if interested.

Quote:Original post by RIGENSTEIN
When you are naming your studio, how do you know if that name is not already taken? is there any place or website to look for that information?

Company names may be registered trademarks. You would search for these in the various trademark databases (EG US Patent and Trademark office) and also Google the name, search for domain names that include the name and check game specific resources like http://www.gamedevmap.com/

Quote:If there is another place (not another game studio but company related to a different kind of business)with that name in another country, can I still use that name?

Yes, trademark law, which covers things like company and product names and logos, allows for the use of the same name provided that it is in a different industry (so that customers won't be confused and assume they are the same company). You should note however that this doesn't apply if the name in question is universally known, like Coca Cola. You probably couldn't set up "Coca Cola Games" without getting into trouble.
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement