Sign in to follow this  

Help starting out

This topic is 2667 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am currently new to programming. I take a class at college. WE are using java and making basic 2d games. I would like to get into c or C++. First of do you think this wise? And second I dont know where to start about practicing at home and what tools I should use to work on my skills and make them better. WE currently use javawide and a 2d engine called FANG.

1) Why are you capitalizing WE? It's creeping me out.

2) Stick with Java if that's what you're currently learning at school. Learning two languages at once when you're just starting out is not advisable.

3) C and C++ are two very different languages, they are not interchangeable and you should learn more about them both (on a surface level) before deciding you want to learn them. Learning Java first will probably make it easier to transition into C++ later, C itself is probably not a good choice to move directly to. C++ was initially created to "be a better C" but it has really come out and become its own "thing" and has been for many many years, learning C first can make this confusing if you plan on learning both.

alright, I didnt mean to cap WE lol. Knowing java will help C++ makes me feel better. I know I want to program for the gaming world and a lot of people in my class are going towards accounting and stuff, so I was making sure that I wasnt learning that language for know reason. I'm also on a Software developer degree and I'm just making sure im on track.

This topic is 2667 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.