Need help with qt for Windows

Started by
15 comments, last by MarkS 13 years, 7 months ago
I've downloaded the SDK, but I cannot compile any projects with QT Creator.

When I try to compile a project (any project...) I get this:

mingw32-make: Entering directory `project directory'
c:\qt\2010.04\qt\bin\qmake.exe -spec c:\Qt\2010.04\qt\mkspecs\win32-g++ -win32 -o Makefile ..\project directory\project.pro
mingw32-make: Leaving directory `project directory'

This ends up in an endless loop, with mingw32-make entering and leaving the project directory until I cancel the build. Other than this, nothing happens and there are no errors reported.

I asked this on QTForum.org, but haven't gotten anywhere:
thread

I have filed two separate bug reports here:
Bug report 1
Bug report 2

I seem to be running into a brick wall. Has anyone here ever had this issue? If so, how did you deal with it?

No, I am not a professional programmer. I'm just a hobbyist having fun...

Advertisement
Is your project directory literally called "project directory"?

Wild stab in the dark, try creating a project directory that doesn't have a space in it; i.e. "project_directory" instead of "project directory".
Of course not. I shortened it for clarity.

1) You probably shouldn't have file bug reports just yet - the issue is likely a user error (i.e. you haven't correctly set something up) rather than a bug.

2) QTForum.org is not much help, there are too many people asking questions and not enough people answering them. Try QTCentre as well, there seems to be a more active community there

3)Have you tried compiling from the command line?
[Window Detective] - Windows UI spy utility for programmers
Quote:Original post by XTAL256
1) You probably shouldn't have file bug reports just yet - the issue is likely a user error (i.e. you haven't correctly set something up) rather than a bug.

Maybe the build problem, but the huge number of instances of the make program is definitely a bug.

2) QTForum.org is not much help, there are too many people asking questions and not enough people answering them. Try QTCentre as well, there seems to be a more active community there

I'll try it and see.

3)Have you tried compiling from the command line?

This is the second time I've been asked this, the first being on QTForum.org. To be completely honest, I've never used a command line, wouldn't know where to find it and most definitely wouldn't know how to use it. I went straight from the Mac to Windows XP and bypassed DOS. It is a "skill" that I lack. If you can give me some pointers?

You say you are using Qt Creator... can I see your build settings? The latest version of Qt runs fine for me. I get a much different Compile Output than you have there. Your qmake arguments also seem a bit odd to me. Also, what type of project did you create and so on and so on or are you just trying to compile the examples out of a fresh install?

Quote:Original post by yadango
You say you are using Qt Creator... can I see your build settings? The latest version of Qt runs fine for me. I get a much different Compile Output than you have there. Your qmake arguments also seem a bit odd to me. Also, what type of project did you create and so on and so on or are you just trying to compile the examples out of a fresh install?

Yes, I am trying to compile the examples from a fresh install. I can find very little to nothing on proper installation for Windows compiles. Most of what I can find in the documentation is geared towards mobile platforms.

Here are my build settings. Apart from the project, exactly the same.

Looks good and normal. BTW, how does it compile the examples that come with Qt? Also, how did you install Qt? Using that 279 MB or so installer (qt-sdk-win-opensource-2010.04.exe)? Should work great out of the box on Windows 7 x64, which I am on as well.

Can I get a copy of your Marching Cubes example project all zipped up? I have the original example, and want to see how yours defers.

Also, try right-clicking on the project name in Qt Creator, and choose
Run qmake in "..."

What is the Compile Output? Mines is

Running build steps for project Qt_MARCHING_CUBES...Starting: "c:/qt/2010.04/qt/bin/qmake.exe" C:/Users/semory/Desktop/Qt_MARCHING_CUBES/Qt_MARCHING_CUBES.pro -r -spec win32-g++ CONFIG+=release The process "c:/qt/2010.04/qt/bin/qmake.exe" exited normally.

Then right-click on project name again and choose
Build Qt_MARCHING_CUBES

What is the full Compile Output for this? Mines looks like:

Running build steps for project Qt_MARCHING_CUBES...Starting: "C:/Qt/2010.04/mingw/bin/mingw32-make.exe" clean -w mingw32-make: Entering directory `C:/Users/semory/Desktop/Qt_MARCHING_CUBES-build-desktop' C:/Qt/2010.04/mingw/bin/mingw32-make -f Makefile.Release clean mingw32-make[1]: Entering directory `C:/Users/semory/Desktop/Qt_MARCHING_CUBES-build-desktop' del release\moc_mainwindow.cpp release\moc_marching_cubes.cpp del release\main.o release\mainwindow.o release\marching_cubes.o release\moc_mainwindow.o release\moc_marching_cubes.o mingw32-make[1]: Leaving directory `C:/Users/semory/Desktop/Qt_MARCHING_CUBES-build-desktop' C:/Qt/2010.04/mingw/bin/mingw32-make -f Makefile.Debug clean mingw32-make[1]: Entering directory `C:/Users/semory/Desktop/Qt_MARCHING_CUBES-build-desktop' del debug\moc_mainwindow.cpp debug\moc_marching_cubes.cpp del debug\main.o debug\mainwindow.o debug\marching_cubes.o debug\moc_mainwindow.o debug\moc_marching_cubes.o mingw32-make[1]: Leaving directory `C:/Users/semory/Desktop/Qt_MARCHING_CUBES-build-desktop' mingw32-make: Leaving directory `C:/Users/semory/Desktop/Qt_MARCHING_CUBES-build-desktop' The process "C:/Qt/2010.04/mingw/bin/mingw32-make.exe" exited normally.Configuration unchanged, skipping qmake step.Starting: "C:/Qt/2010.04/mingw/bin/mingw32-make.exe" -w mingw32-make: Entering directory `C:/Users/semory/Desktop/Qt_MARCHING_CUBES-build-desktop' C:/Qt/2010.04/mingw/bin/mingw32-make -f Makefile.Release mingw32-make[1]: Entering directory `C:/Users/semory/Desktop/Qt_MARCHING_CUBES-build-desktop' g++ -c -O2 -frtti -fexceptions -mthreads -Wall -DUNICODE -DQT_LARGEFILE_SUPPORT -DQT_DLL -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_OPENGL_LIB -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT -DQT_NEEDS_QMAIN -I"..\..\..\..\Qt\2010.04\qt\include\QtCore" -I"..\..\..\..\Qt\2010.04\qt\include\QtGui" -I"..\..\..\..\Qt\2010.04\qt\include\QtOpenGL" -I"..\..\..\..\Qt\2010.04\qt\include" -I"..\..\..\..\Dev\boost_1_43_0" -I"..\..\..\..\Qt\2010.04\qt\include\ActiveQt" -I"release" -I"..\Qt_MARCHING_CUBES" -I"." -I"..\..\..\..\Qt\2010.04\qt\mkspecs\win32-g++" -o release\main.o ..\Qt_MARCHING_CUBES\main.cpp g++ -c -O2 -frtti -fexceptions -mthreads -Wall -DUNICODE -DQT_LARGEFILE_SUPPORT -DQT_DLL -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_OPENGL_LIB -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT -DQT_NEEDS_QMAIN -I"..\..\..\..\Qt\2010.04\qt\include\QtCore" -I"..\..\..\..\Qt\2010.04\qt\include\QtGui" -I"..\..\..\..\Qt\2010.04\qt\include\QtOpenGL" -I"..\..\..\..\Qt\2010.04\qt\include" -I"..\..\..\..\Dev\boost_1_43_0" -I"..\..\..\..\Qt\2010.04\qt\include\ActiveQt" -I"release" -I"..\Qt_MARCHING_CUBES" -I"." -I"..\..\..\..\Qt\2010.04\qt\mkspecs\win32-g++" -o release\mainwindow.o ..\Qt_MARCHING_CUBES\mainwindow.cpp g++ -c -O2 -frtti -fexceptions -mthreads -Wall -DUNICODE -DQT_LARGEFILE_SUPPORT -DQT_DLL -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_OPENGL_LIB -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT -DQT_NEEDS_QMAIN -I"..\..\..\..\Qt\2010.04\qt\include\QtCore" -I"..\..\..\..\Qt\2010.04\qt\include\QtGui" -I"..\..\..\..\Qt\2010.04\qt\include\QtOpenGL" -I"..\..\..\..\Qt\2010.04\qt\include" -I"..\..\..\..\Dev\boost_1_43_0" -I"..\..\..\..\Qt\2010.04\qt\include\ActiveQt" -I"release" -I"..\Qt_MARCHING_CUBES" -I"." -I"..\..\..\..\Qt\2010.04\qt\mkspecs\win32-g++" -o release\marching_cubes.o ..\Qt_MARCHING_CUBES\marching_cubes.cpp C:\Qt\2010.04\qt\bin\moc.exe -DUNICODE -DQT_LARGEFILE_SUPPORT -DQT_DLL -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_OPENGL_LIB -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT -DQT_NEEDS_QMAIN -I"..\..\..\..\Qt\2010.04\qt\include\QtCore" -I"..\..\..\..\Qt\2010.04\qt\include\QtGui" -I"..\..\..\..\Qt\2010.04\qt\include\QtOpenGL" -I"..\..\..\..\Qt\2010.04\qt\include" -I"..\..\..\..\Dev\boost_1_43_0" -I"..\..\..\..\Qt\2010.04\qt\include\ActiveQt" -I"release" -I"..\Qt_MARCHING_CUBES" -I"." -I"..\..\..\..\Qt\2010.04\qt\mkspecs\win32-g++" -D__GNUC__ -DWIN32 ..\Qt_MARCHING_CUBES\mainwindow.h -o release\moc_mainwindow.cpp g++ -c -O2 -frtti -fexceptions -mthreads -Wall -DUNICODE -DQT_LARGEFILE_SUPPORT -DQT_DLL -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_OPENGL_LIB -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT -DQT_NEEDS_QMAIN -I"..\..\..\..\Qt\2010.04\qt\include\QtCore" -I"..\..\..\..\Qt\2010.04\qt\include\QtGui" -I"..\..\..\..\Qt\2010.04\qt\include\QtOpenGL" -I"..\..\..\..\Qt\2010.04\qt\include" -I"..\..\..\..\Dev\boost_1_43_0" -I"..\..\..\..\Qt\2010.04\qt\include\ActiveQt" -I"release" -I"..\Qt_MARCHING_CUBES" -I"." -I"..\..\..\..\Qt\2010.04\qt\mkspecs\win32-g++" -o release\moc_mainwindow.o release\moc_mainwindow.cpp C:\Qt\2010.04\qt\bin\moc.exe -DUNICODE -DQT_LARGEFILE_SUPPORT -DQT_DLL -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_OPENGL_LIB -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT -DQT_NEEDS_QMAIN -I"..\..\..\..\Qt\2010.04\qt\include\QtCore" -I"..\..\..\..\Qt\2010.04\qt\include\QtGui" -I"..\..\..\..\Qt\2010.04\qt\include\QtOpenGL" -I"..\..\..\..\Qt\2010.04\qt\include" -I"..\..\..\..\Dev\boost_1_43_0" -I"..\..\..\..\Qt\2010.04\qt\include\ActiveQt" -I"release" -I"..\Qt_MARCHING_CUBES" -I"." -I"..\..\..\..\Qt\2010.04\qt\mkspecs\win32-g++" -D__GNUC__ -DWIN32 ..\Qt_MARCHING_CUBES\marching_cubes.h -o release\moc_marching_cubes.cpp g++ -c -O2 -frtti -fexceptions -mthreads -Wall -DUNICODE -DQT_LARGEFILE_SUPPORT -DQT_DLL -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_OPENGL_LIB -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT -DQT_NEEDS_QMAIN -I"..\..\..\..\Qt\2010.04\qt\include\QtCore" -I"..\..\..\..\Qt\2010.04\qt\include\QtGui" -I"..\..\..\..\Qt\2010.04\qt\include\QtOpenGL" -I"..\..\..\..\Qt\2010.04\qt\include" -I"..\..\..\..\Dev\boost_1_43_0" -I"..\..\..\..\Qt\2010.04\qt\include\ActiveQt" -I"release" -I"..\Qt_MARCHING_CUBES" -I"." -I"..\..\..\..\Qt\2010.04\qt\mkspecs\win32-g++" -o release\moc_marching_cubes.o release\moc_marching_cubes.cpp g++ -enable-stdcall-fixup -Wl,-enable-auto-import -Wl,-enable-runtime-pseudo-reloc -Wl,-s -mthreads -Wl -Wl,-subsystem,windows -o release\Qt_MARCHING_CUBES.exe release/main.o release/mainwindow.o release/marching_cubes.o release/moc_mainwindow.o release/moc_marching_cubes.o -L"c:\Qt\2010.04\qt\lib" -lopengl32 -lglu32 -lgdi32 -luser32 -lmingw32 -lqtmain -lQtOpenGL4 -lQtGui4 -lQtCore4 mingw32-make[1]: Leaving directory `C:/Users/semory/Desktop/Qt_MARCHING_CUBES-build-desktop' mingw32-make: Leaving directory `C:/Users/semory/Desktop/Qt_MARCHING_CUBES-build-desktop' The process "C:/Qt/2010.04/mingw/bin/mingw32-make.exe" exited normally.
Looks good and normal. BTW, how does it compile the examples that come with Qt? Also, how did you install Qt? Using that 279 MB or so installer (qt-sdk-win-opensource-2010.04.exe)? Should work great out of the box on Windows 7 x64, which I am on as well.

That is exactly what I did. I downloaded the most current SDK and installed it.

Can I get a copy of your Marching Cubes example project all zipped up? I have the original example, and want to see how yours defers.

I found the marching cubes code here: Polygonising A Scalar Field I have not change anything.

Also, try right-clicking on the project name in Qt Creator, and choose
*** Source Snippet Removed ***

What is the Compile Output? Mines is

When I do this, I get the same results as you. However...

Then right-click on project name again and choose
*** Source Snippet Removed ***.

What is the full Compile Output for this? Mines looks like:

The same problem I have been having crops up here. I'm guessing that something is configured wrong in "mingw32-make".

I see you also found the Qt suggestion to "Delete the user file," for which that project doesn't even come with one (and I didn't have any trouble building marching cubes other than that I had to include one line to the PRO file to add boost's include directory).

Only thing I would do now is to try to install it under a fresh XP in Windows 7 XP mode and try it to see if some external program is preventing mingw-make from doing its job.

BTW, when you run that marching cube program it takes about 5 minutes to display the window LOL! It takes a long time to generate those display lists ha ha ha!

Other than that, I'm at a loss :-), and I'm sure you've tried reinstalling. I feel your pain though; software is like a fine girl, sometimes it doesn't love you back no matter how hard you try to screw it :-).

[Edited by - yadango on August 31, 2010 1:23:06 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement