Sign in to follow this  

Direct X10 Lost Device..Reset automated?

This topic is 2660 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey there all I am using DX9 at the moment to build a major project but in another thread about taking a screenshot where the person was using DX9 and not reseting their device. At one point someone suggested that Direct X10 does not require you to reset the device during the transition between fullscreen and windowed mode or potentially even at all.

If that is true then forget the geometry buffer that would be the single most useful feature ever contemplated. I hate losing my devices and having to reset them, so can anyone validate this?

If its true I am going to be very excited about my next project even more so!

From An Overview of Microsoft's Direct3D 10 API:

Quote:
Sharing the GPU is a big part of VDDM; to the extent that the video memory will be virtualized by the operating system. This will in turn allow for resource sharing across threads, which could become an important feature with the recent turn towards multi-programming. Another bonus of the GPU becoming a more central resource to the system is that the "lost device" scenario is gone – so applications no longer need to worry about handling it. However, there is a "device removed" state – which exists for the increasing number of laptops that come with docking stations.

This topic is 2660 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.