Sign in to follow this  

architecturing of game programming

This topic is 2661 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi for all

I'll make my game, finally I chose my objective.
I have chosen the tools I'll use to create my game. I have the graphics engine, physics engine and all other tools.
I have the tools, I have my idea. What I don't know is how architecture my software.
I've seen some books in game design. They explain all aspects, since the creation of the idea and what I need to do to publish.
My needs is about programming architecture. Can you give me some highlights about this?

Thanks

I assume what you are looking for is how to structure your classes to make all the components of the game work together? If so that depends on what type of game you're making. In general, you want a game loop that cycles between gathering input, updating logic, and drawing to the screen. Search for "game loop" for some more detailed information.

If you're more looking for what to start on, work on drawing the character to the screen and moving him/her. Then focus on drawing the level. Last, you'll want to add some physics to the game, like gravity for a platformer or acceleration/deceleration for a racing game. After you have that it's all about what ever feature you want to add. Sound, enemies, npcs, collision etc etc.

Hope this helped. ^^

This is the main problem. Integration. Add all of these thing, if I do the wrong way, the software will be ridiculous.
I'm looking for patterns, methods, and things that are most and widely used to do the things right.
I want to do the things right.

If you're uncomfortable jumping in, creating/recreating things, moving things around when needed, and optimizing regularly, maybe try using a pre-made engine? While using the engine look at the functions used to accomplish things so that when you want to make something from scratch, you'll have the direction to do so. There are a plethora of game engines to choose from. ^^

No, this is not the problem for me. Things you mentioned I like to do, and I want.
You gave me a good idea. I'll look the architecture of some engines to inspire my game. This is good idea. Thank you.

This topic is 2661 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.