Total noob need step-by-step directions

Started by
11 comments, last by M0o 13 years, 7 months ago
ok i have read and do the step by step but when i try install sp37394 - Microsoft Windows XP SP3 Upgrade Utility for systems with AMD processors . i get a message saying...

" Your system does not meet the minimum requirements for this update. Update has been cancelled. (9998) "

any ideas? i dont wanna do anything else incase i brake my computer again.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by M0o
ok i have read and do the step by step but when i try install sp37394 - Microsoft Windows XP SP3 Upgrade Utility for systems with AMD processors . i get a message saying...

" Your system does not meet the minimum requirements for this update. Update has been cancelled. (9998) "

any ideas? i dont wanna do anything else incase i brake my computer again.

What you can do is:

Install SP3 the normal way (using windows update)

once it starts its endless reboot loop:

Open the recovery console (on a HP machine (and some other brands aswell) you can access this by pressing F8 as the computer is starting , go to "return to os choices" and select "Microsoft Windows Recovery Console",

You can also access the recovery console using the repair option from a Windows XP installation CD.

Select the windows installation you wish to repair and enter the admin password.

Then type:
disable intelppm
exit (this reboots the system)

After this your system should be working again and you should have SP3 installed.

again, this is only for HP and Compaq , if you've built your machine yourself it could be some other problem, here is a list of other potential causes:
http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesper/archive/2008/05/08/does-your-amd-based-computer-boot-after-installing-xp-sp3.aspx
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
ok thanx for all the help :) i'll be trying again soon but gonna ask my bro a few things 1st as hes an IT Tech by profession just to make sure im not gonna do anything wrong hehe

this has been a great help maybe i wont be scared to turn my automatic updtes on now :P

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement