Total noob need step-by-step directions

Started by
11 comments, last by M0o 13 years, 7 months ago
Hi everyone. I have studied programming at school (and will continue studying).
What I have studied is C++. But all the programs we have ever made are dos programs (you know - the black screen with the white letters).
So here are my questions.
I have already chosen C++ as the language I am going to use. But can you tell me which compiler is best to use? For now I will do just some 2D games to learn. Also if you give me a site with examples (a simple game and a source code) it would be great.
Advertisement
This isn't something that can be just answered without more information, which platform are you using and/or plan on developing for. I am assuming you are talking about just the compiler but the actual IDE as well. Eclipse is good, but if you plan on doing all windows based programs I would recommend VS2010, they have a free express edition that you could use. I hope this helps you out, good luck to you.

EDIT: Also for games check out the SFML or SDL tutorials for working with graphics and you should be able to come up with something from learning how to use graphics.

Simple and Fast Multimedia Library - SFML

Simple DirectMedia Layer - SDL

EDIT:AGAIN: Also might want to check out SourceForge as you expressed the want to look at source code for a game.

SourceForge.net
Yo!
I am new here, but still wanted to answer your question.
This site has a lot of resources. Many good books mentioned here worth reading.

I don't know wich OS you use, but if you use Windows I would recommend DevCpp.
I use it all the time and it works perfect. Visual Studio 2010 that wicked357 mentioned works also nice, but I personally prefer DevCpp. If you have Mac or Linux you should try Code::Blocks. I use Code::Blocks sometimes and it also works fine. I haven't bothered making links for the IDE's, but you can search them up. Yeah Sourceforge.net is full of stuff(sourcecodes), you defintely should check it out!

For games you could use libraries like Allegro or SDL.

SDL tutorials:

http://lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials/index.php

http://www.sdltutorials.com

http://www.youtube.com/user/adrianisen#p/search/2/5b-zFMCX0QI

Allegro tutorials:

http://www.loomsoft.net/resources/alltut/alltut_index.htm

http://www.gillius.org/allegtut/index.htm

PS:
wrote Devcpp, because the plus plus won't show, don't know why:(
but good luck with making games. And please ignore my grammatical errors :p
Quote:Original post by paranoiks
Hi everyone. I have studied programming at school (and will continue studying).
What I have studied is C++. But all the programs we have ever made are dos programs (you know - the black screen with the white letters).
So here are my questions.
I have already chosen C++ as the language I am going to use. But can you tell me which compiler is best to use? For now I will do just some 2D games to learn. Also if you give me a site with examples (a simple game and a source code) it would be great.

The compiler doesn't matter much unless you start looking at C++0x features.

I suspect you want to know what library to use, or what IDE to use.

I'll talk about the IDE(Integrated Development Environment)/Compiler issue a little bit:
There isn't one right answer, but a good IDE for Windows is Visual Studio. Keep in mind you should really be able to take your source code and compile it anywhere (provided you write code that does not depend on a particular platform or compiler which is easier said than done.)

The IDE includes a compiler or works with one, but many give you the option of using a different compiler if you want. Basically the IDE is a text editor with language specific features (code completion, hinting, highlighting, folding etc), possibly debugging utilities, project/compiler setting management etc. It's basically an environment with everything you need to get a program written and running. Here is a list on Wikipedia of a few.

The compiler is the specific program which parses and converts your source code into a running application (typically the compiler in C++ deals with several steps: Preprocessing, Compilation, Assembly, Linking).
Here is a list of a few.

The high level difference is that you don't "write code in a compiler", but you could write code "in an IDE". The compiler doesn't deal with text editing and stuff related to workflow.
_______________________"You're using a screwdriver to nail some glue to a ming vase. " -ToohrVyk
Quote:Original post by DarkAven
I don't know wich OS you use, but if you use Windows I would recommend DevCpp.

Don't. DevCpp is about the worst possible IDE you could choose. Obligatory link listing some of the reasons.
CodeBlocks 10.04 is absolutely top notch. Use it with tdragon's mingw32 gcc 4.5 . Code::Blocks' debugging interface is extremely high quality, and on my benchmarks tdragon's gcc generates significantly better code (%10-%60 better on average) than VS2009. Plus, open source is sweet, and your project files will be usable on mac and linux as well.
Quote:Original post by paranoiks
Those are console programs for future reference. [smile]
Quote:But can you tell me which compiler is best to use?
Assuming you're using Windows, I would suggest Visual C++ 2010 Express, provided free from Microsoft. Code::Blocks is a good quality alternative if you prefer not to use Visual Studio for some reason. Do not use the outdated and buggy Dev-C++.

Note that as some of the others have touched upon, these are Integrated Development Environments, or IDEs -- a syntax-highlighting code editor, debugging tools, and a compiler.
Quote:For now I will do just some 2D games to learn.
Excellent, good to see you're taking an achievable approach.

I agree with wicked357 that either SFML (tutorials, official forum) or SDL (Lazy Foo's Tutorials) would make a good choice of graphics-library.

I'm just reinforcing what has already been said here, hope we've helped you. Good luck! [smile]

- Jason Astle-Adams

omg guess what.... im also new to programming and im reading a few posts to help me get started etc.. so anyways iv went to install this visual C++ 2010 express and it needs service pack 3 to run. well when i install service pack 3 my computer goes into a restart loop resulting in a total reformat... dammit are there any older verions which are just as good and will work with service pack 2?
Quote:Original post by M0o
omg guess what.... im also new to programming and im reading a few posts to help me get started etc.. so anyways iv went to install this visual C++ 2010 express and it needs service pack 3 to run. well when i install service pack 3 my computer goes into a restart loop resulting in a total reformat... dammit are there any older verions which are just as good and will work with service pack 2?

If you have an old AMD based HP pavilion or Compaq Presario it is most likely due to one of their old fuckups, info on how to resolve it is here:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01457284&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

If you got some other hardware it might be a different problem, but there is most likely a similar solution in your case aswell.

Heres Microsofts info:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953356/en-us

Basically some OEMs have used sysprep install images for Intel machines on their AMD machines which causes the system to attempt to load intel drivers on amd hardware after the service pack upgrade.
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
im using an AMD Athlon(tm) 64 processor 3700+ so im guessing this is my problem thanx alot for the help and ill be looking into it shortly :)

*edit* iv read the site you provided and im going to try it just before i go to work tonight just incase i mess it up and ill be board all day lol thanx again mate ill let you know what happenes later.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement