PC RPG from PNP RPG.... Legality?

Started by
7 comments, last by TechnoGoth 13 years, 7 months ago
Hello Folks at the Great GameDev!
I am in the process of developing a pc rpg. I was going to get license rights to use a pnp (pen and paper) rpg rules set (ie: GURPS, Dungeons & Dragons, etc.). Although this is not going to happen. I grew up playing pnp rpg's so i am quite familiar with how to build one from scratch.
With so many pnp rpg's out there, each with thier own system of rules, how unique of a rules system do i need to create not to infringe on some other pnp game companies copyrights/intellectual property?
Seems like every game borrows something from another game. I just dont want to get into a legal battle.
-Thanks
Advertisement
1. Scroll up to the top of this forum.
2. Look for the small blue "View Forum FAQ" link.
3. Click it.
4. Read the answer that has already been given many times to this Frequently Asked Question.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Ok, guess i should have looked around a bit before posting.
Next Question:
In the FAQ, it talked about getting the copyrights to all work done by contract workers or people who have contributed for free to a game. How exactly does a person go about doing this? Does the person who did the work have to register the copyright and then i get (buy or give) it from them?
Does the FAQ not say that copyright is automatic?
When you create something, you automatically own the copyright.
So if you create something and want to transfer/sell your copyright to another person, you do not have to register it first.

So what does transfering a copyright entail? Written agreement, verbal? Do i need proof that the copyright has been transfered?
Written, typically as part of, or appendix to, the contract for the artist's services.

[Edited by - Tom Sloper on August 31, 2010 10:37:30 PM]

thanks
You should get contracts sorted out before you start because the project isn't worth anything. It is much easier to get people to agree when there is no money at stake. Once the project starts to take form people start to see $ signs. Often they start to think that their contribution to the project is vital to its future success and maybe worth more than other peoples. At this point it becomes a lot harder to get people to agree terms and sign contracts.
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
I also recommend getting contracts sorted out before you start or as early as possible in the process other wise it can and will come back to bite you.

I worked on a project last year that got put back into development a week before launch because the contracts with the 3rd party data supplier hadn't be signed and they tripled their price.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement