Sign in to follow this  

RTS network game implemented

This topic is 2662 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

first apology me for poor English speak
i want to implement a RTs network game i make my RTS game in local an i move this to network game how can i ?

what information i must send to server and receive

i want a general and standard way

thanks to every body

If you want an RTS to eventually be multiplayer, it is wise to plan for that from the start. One classic article that can give you an idea on how to do it: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3094/1500_archers_on_a_288_network_.php

Worthwhile to mention is that TCP works quite well nowadays (or rather, Internet connections are faster/more reliable than when some articles were written). So you can feel pretty safe in picking TCP (only issue is how to deal with NAT). Edit to clarify: This is because lag is not such a large issue in an RTS as in an FPS. For an FPS still you wouldn't want to use TCP.

I ended up using Google Protocol Buffers with good results as well to structure my messages. IMHO having some kind of solid serialization really helps compared to C-style manual byte shuffling in and out of buffers.

[Edited by - Beyond_Repair on September 1, 2010 9:41:31 AM]

This topic is 2662 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.