Sign in to follow this  

Cheaper to make Android or Iphone game?

This topic is 2619 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

A few questions

Is it cheaper to make an Android game or Iphone game and port to Android?

Do you have to apply to console owners like Nintendo DS to publish your game?

Do you need a licence to publish a video game or mobile video game?

Can you publish as individual on Iphone Android etc without setting up a business?

WHO are the BEST cheapest game developers who have a game development service?

Thanks

>> Is it cheaper to make an Android game or Iphone game and port to Android?

Depends entirely on you. Both are basically zero-cost to develop, and deploying to the public is practically free.

The cost will be in terms of your own development process. Your own processes can be as expensive as you make them.

>> Do you have to apply to console owners like Nintendo DS to publish your game?

The console manufacturers are different than phones. You need to be an established business, with evidence that you can bring a game to market. Typically this means demonstrating a solid team of experienced game developers and access to roughly a million dollars.

>> Do you need a licence to publish a video game or mobile video game?

Depends on what licenses you mean.

If you are coming up with your own original IP, then you don't need permission to develop your ideas. If you are using IP you don't own you will need a license from the owner. Generally that means paying money and establishing a business relationship. See the Business forum FAQ for details.

Other licenses you may need include a license to use the development tools and SDKs. Android and iphone have their own SDKs subject to their own license terms.

>> Can you publish as individual on Iphone Android etc without setting up a business?

Yes.

>> WHO are the BEST cheapest game developers who have a game development service?

Best is subjective. The best for you may be the worst for me. Shop around, talk to them, talk to their previous customers, get bids, and decide based on your needs.

Dev costs for the 2 platforms are going to be similar, but you might have a better (larger) market with the iPhone. Then again if your app is a niche app, you might be the first/have less competition on Android, hence increasing your ROI.

Quote:
Original post by frob

Depends entirely on you. Both are basically zero-cost to develop, and deploying to the public is practically free.

Not strictly true in the case of the iPhone. First, you have to have a Mac to dev for it, so if you don't already have one you'll have to buy one or make a Hackintosh. Second, if you the software to run on an actual iPhone, you'll have to pay $100 to Apple so that you can sign your App.

No clue about the Android process.

In the long run, android is going to be cheaper, its $25 for a lifetime membership to be able to deploy to the android market, whereas the iphone is $100 a year, AND they must approve all apps before they hit the market.

Quote:
Original post by Anicho
And you dont actually have to deploy to the android market you can distribute it your self through other markets.

Yup, Android and Windows Mobile apps can be published and sold anywhere, (Allthough using the official marketplaces can give you more exposure and makes it easier for people to buy it. iPhone currently has more marketshare though so its worth developing for despite the restrictions. (As long as you make an app that Apple approves of)

Quote:
Original post by Rycross
Quote:
Both are basically zero-cost to develop, and deploying to the public is practically free.
Not strictly true in the case of the iPhone. First, you have to have a Mac to dev for it, so if you don't already have one you'll have to buy one or make a Hackintosh. Second, if you the software to run on an actual iPhone, you'll have to pay $100 to Apple so that you can sign your App.
That gives a sticker price (including hardware) of under $1,000 - pretty darn close to zero cost in the grander scheme of things. Hell, setting up your LLC (you are going to limit your personal liability, right?) is going to cost more than that...

Quote:
Original post by swiftcoder
That gives a sticker price (including hardware) of under $1,000 - pretty darn close to zero cost in the grander scheme of things. Hell, setting up your LLC (you are going to limit your personal liability, right?) is going to cost more than that...

Its all relative. I agree that $1000 is pretty close to zero for a professional developer, but for a student it can be a lot of money. I don't think its valid to assume that the OP is a professional, especially since they want to avoid setting up a business. Also, not necessarily the case with the LLC.

Somewhat of an aside:

Quote:
Original post by Rycross
especially since they want to avoid setting up a business.

Depending on the city and state, that's not necessarily a practical option. And the gov't pretty much requires/assumes that you're a business if you earn income outside of employment with another company. Though you don't necessarily have to officially incorporate, some cities (like Los Angeles) will require you pay an annual fee for "operating a business" ($500/year in Los Angeles, for instance).

Apple or the droid marketplace will send you tax forms (probably 1099-MISC) for any payments you receive which means you have to claim them on your taxes since that's a glaring audit trail. Once you claim them then the city or state will auto-bill you for operating a business. Easier to actually incorporate so your costs are up front and you don't get extra penalty fees and such.

That said $1000 for set up outside of local business taxes/fees may be a slight over-estimate. I just set up an LLC in California and the total cost was around $200-300 so far but I haven't applied for the federal EIN yet, not sure what that costs. But then, I also have lawyer friends who helped me through the process for free.

-me

Quote:
Original post by Rycross
Quote:
Original post by swiftcoder
Its all relative. I agree that $1000 is pretty close to zero for a professional developer, but for a student it can be a lot of money. I don't think its valid to assume that the OP is a professional, especially since they want to avoid setting up a business. Also, not necessarily the case with the LLC.

That is a bad argument. It is like buying a car and complaining that you must pay for fuel.

Let's assume he does buy a mac for development, and he is a student.

Apple has always had huge student discounts available. You get get a brand new Mac Mini for $500 at the student rate, even cheaper if you go with the older models. You can go to ebay and get a good macbook for under $500. Several recent macbook auctions finished in the $400 range.

You don't need the license until you are ready to ship, so there is no need for an annual cost.

Total cost to buy the minimal hardware and get the license is under $600.

Contrast with the cost of a $300 phone + 2 year contract of $120+/month for the iPhone he is targeting.

If the person can afford $3000+ for the target device without complaint, the <$1000 to develop for it is nominal.

Hardware concerns aside, if you pay someone to make your game then the cost is in the labor. Keep in mind if you want a game on both platforms you pretty much need to write it twice. iPhone uses Objective-C and Android doesn't...

>> Do you have to apply to console owners like Nintendo DS to publish your game?
Nope. Completely separate thing

>> Do you need a licence to publish a video game or mobile video game?
Nope. iPhone requires you sign up with them and your app is sold via the AppStore. Android is up to you...

>> Can you publish as individual on Iphone Android etc without setting up a business?
iPhone you can. Not sure about android.

Doing the business route isn't too bad. Setting up an LLC in Indiana only costs $50. Most other states are similar. That gets you an EIN
Then you need to setup a bank account(check out Bank of America small business account).
To distribute your app in apple's AppStore as a business, you also need to be approved by apple as a business. Not a big deal, but it adds another week to the process.

>> WHO are the BEST cheapest game developers who have a game development service?
I would have to say me:) I have 3 apps in the app store now: Arrow Head, Arrow Head Free & Who Threw Poo. Email me if you would like to talk further...

This topic is 2619 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.