Cheaper to make Android or Iphone game?

Started by
12 comments, last by BuffaloJ 13 years, 6 months ago
A few questions

Is it cheaper to make an Android game or Iphone game and port to Android?

Do you have to apply to console owners like Nintendo DS to publish your game?

Do you need a licence to publish a video game or mobile video game?

Can you publish as individual on Iphone Android etc without setting up a business?

WHO are the BEST cheapest game developers who have a game development service?

Thanks

Advertisement
>> Is it cheaper to make an Android game or Iphone game and port to Android?

Depends entirely on you. Both are basically zero-cost to develop, and deploying to the public is practically free.

The cost will be in terms of your own development process. Your own processes can be as expensive as you make them.

>> Do you have to apply to console owners like Nintendo DS to publish your game?

The console manufacturers are different than phones. You need to be an established business, with evidence that you can bring a game to market. Typically this means demonstrating a solid team of experienced game developers and access to roughly a million dollars.

>> Do you need a licence to publish a video game or mobile video game?

Depends on what licenses you mean.

If you are coming up with your own original IP, then you don't need permission to develop your ideas. If you are using IP you don't own you will need a license from the owner. Generally that means paying money and establishing a business relationship. See the Business forum FAQ for details.

Other licenses you may need include a license to use the development tools and SDKs. Android and iphone have their own SDKs subject to their own license terms.

>> Can you publish as individual on Iphone Android etc without setting up a business?

Yes.

>> WHO are the BEST cheapest game developers who have a game development service?

Best is subjective. The best for you may be the worst for me. Shop around, talk to them, talk to their previous customers, get bids, and decide based on your needs.
"WHO are the BEST cheapest game developers who have a game development service?"

My Mum.

"WHO are the BEST game developers who have a game development service?"

Me.
Dev costs for the 2 platforms are going to be similar, but you might have a better (larger) market with the iPhone. Then again if your app is a niche app, you might be the first/have less competition on Android, hence increasing your ROI.
What about giving us some info about your videogame? just few words :)
Electronic, Hard House, Film Music

88 preview tracks to listen to online + artist forums

And my projects Vanethian, and X-tivity Factor
Quote:Original post by frob
>> Is it cheaper to make an Android game or Iphone game and port to Android?

Depends entirely on you. Both are basically zero-cost to develop, and deploying to the public is practically free.

Not strictly true in the case of the iPhone. First, you have to have a Mac to dev for it, so if you don't already have one you'll have to buy one or make a Hackintosh. Second, if you the software to run on an actual iPhone, you'll have to pay $100 to Apple so that you can sign your App.

No clue about the Android process.
In the long run, android is going to be cheaper, its $25 for a lifetime membership to be able to deploy to the android market, whereas the iphone is $100 a year, AND they must approve all apps before they hit the market.
And you dont actually have to deploy to the android market you can distribute it your self through other markets.
Quote:Original post by Anicho
And you dont actually have to deploy to the android market you can distribute it your self through other markets.

Yup, Android and Windows Mobile apps can be published and sold anywhere, (Allthough using the official marketplaces can give you more exposure and makes it easier for people to buy it. iPhone currently has more marketshare though so its worth developing for despite the restrictions. (As long as you make an app that Apple approves of)
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
Quote:Original post by Rycross
Quote:Both are basically zero-cost to develop, and deploying to the public is practically free.
Not strictly true in the case of the iPhone. First, you have to have a Mac to dev for it, so if you don't already have one you'll have to buy one or make a Hackintosh. Second, if you the software to run on an actual iPhone, you'll have to pay $100 to Apple so that you can sign your App.
That gives a sticker price (including hardware) of under $1,000 - pretty darn close to zero cost in the grander scheme of things. Hell, setting up your LLC (you are going to limit your personal liability, right?) is going to cost more than that...

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement